Canon 450D with ikelite 200FL driving fiber strobes (S&S YS-01 YS-02).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just found a very good offer for a Canon 450D (with the kit lens) with the 200FL ikelite housing (500 euros with a tray second hand but in very good condition).
Right now I have a Sony A5100 with a Meikon housing which is limiting me a lot (it can't accept any other lens other than the kit 16-50mm, several functions are missing underwater, etc). I could sell my kit hoping to get at least 400 euros and hence with 100 euros or so I could get an expandable system to cover most if not all of my present and future needs.

Problem is that the Canon system uses only copper cables for strobes while I have 2 fiber strobes (S&S YS-01 and YS-02). If I also have to change strobes the whole thing gets too expensive for me.

I was wondering is there any way to fire fiber strobes with the 200FL ikelite housing ???

Edit: I know that "officially" the said housing is not compatible with fiber strobes. What I am looking for is possible alternatives, eg an adapter or something.

I used a 400D with a fibre strobe. With just the camera in the housing I popped the flash which would extend enough for it to function. I made a paper reflector to stick underneath it and it reflected upwards. Only then did I place the lens and the port. An inon fibre holder sticker on the outside did the rest. Getting the paper reflector the right size and masking the the signal to avoid light spilling beyond the fibre holder was the biggest challenge.
Another approach was made by a friend of mine who is well versed (from my perspective) in electronics. He fabricated a magnetic signal giver and receiver using the flash shoe signal from the camera. Inside it ran on a 9v battery and used a shoe from an old regular flash gun and the outside was passive. We used an LED to fire a sealife flash. Both worked, the first one was the more direct one. The second one was my friend proving that it could be done without the trouble of using the built in flash and trying to bounce the light and all.
Not much later I found out why I was having trouble triggering the strobe in the first place... The strobe had a tiny leak that let in just enough water to be a problem. Then I switched to synch cables and ikelite strobes...
So I agree with ikelite... Just saying if you're stubborn enough there are ways

Thanks @Panther1880 exactly the info I was looking and hoping for.
So both methods eventually did work out. Isn't it?

Indeed. If you don't mind fiddling around to get it working it will function, it's not as clean and user friendly as the finished products from say ikelite themselves but it did work.
Tuesday I'll be back home I'll see if I can find pictures and details of it to give you an idea. Send me a PM if you have questions and or want to chat to discuss this more.

Back
Top Bottom