Cannister Positioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mavjax

Reaction score
To avoid totally hijacking another thread, I will post this question here.

Some mount their cannisters on their BP saying it's out of the way and safe tucked in behind the arm and in front of the tank. In the other thread the comment was that on the waistband was more protected and provided easier routing.

I am new to tech diving with a cannister and am open to suggestions on the best way to mount and route.
Thanks.

Well, since you posted in the DIR forum, the answer is it goes upright on the right side of the harness for the reasons you mention here and the reasons I mentioned in the previous thread. From a DIR perspective, this is also an issue of gear standardization...everyone's lights go in the same place.

Also another reason why some cannisters were mounted to the waist strap was that the older heavy cannisters could be used as a source of ditchable weight. With the new style NiMH cannisters its not much of a worry as my helios 4.5 is only about 2.5lbs negative.

For me wearing it on the right side of the waist strap fits nicely. Its kept out of the slip stream and easy to reach the switch. I also use a second buckle to hold it in place so it doesnt slip off the waist band when unbuckled.

A non DIR answer, but I would think getting to the switch would be VERY difficult mounted on the BP. I like the right side position on the harness.

mavjax:
Some mount their cannisters on their BP saying it's out of the way and safe tucked in behind the arm and in front of the tank. In the other thread the comment was that on the waistband was more protected and provided easier routing.

It is securely connected and can removed easily to free it of an entanglement when on the waist band. Methods of BP or tank mounting canisters tend to sacrifice in one of these areas... it either can't be easily removed, or it's not very security attached.

Im suprised no one said it, but the cannister on the belt also makes a dam good place to wrap the long hose.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom