Cannister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael McGoldrick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey there,

I'm an AOW diver from the Lake District. I have recently changed to a BP/W set up from a back inflate BCD and one of the reasons for this was to further advance my learning and prepare me for more advanced diving courses (twinsets etc...). As a result of this I have decided to swap my handheld torch for a cannister light and I have a fairly entry level Orcatorch D630. I realise you don't really need a cannister light for rec diving but i'd like to familiarise myself with the set up so that it becomes second nature if I eventually advance into tec diving. I'd like to know what the correct procedure is for stowing the light chord. I.E do you pass it under the long hose every time you clip off or do you keep the light chord running 'on top' of the long hose?
I've looked online and there seems to be differing opinions.

Cheers :)

I always keep mine under the long hose when properly stowed so I can donate immediately as needed. A temporary stow whilst doing a quick task might be stowed or not depending on the task and how quick I'm likely to be. Essentially I'm balancing time to stow and tidy up vs actual risk of my team going OOG and coming to me so I can respond.
Rich

Keep the long hose available to donate in an emergency at all times. If you're not using the light, stow it under the long hose and tuck any extra cord into your harness on your waist (avoid the cord dangling below you). When deployed, try to build the muscle memory of using your left hand to hold the light - so many people instinctively use their right hand if they are right hand dominant and have to relearn light handling skills when they start to use a DPV.

Thanks for the information everyone. I plan to practice stowing and retrieving as much as I can. I'll go with stowing under the long hose. Cheers!

Thanks for the information everyone. I plan to practice stowing and retrieving as much as I can. I'll go with stowing under the long hose. Cheers!

I dive with a can light in OW recreational profiles (both ST and twinset) to practice.

I now keep a double ender outboard from my back up light on my right chest D-ring.

For the stowing loop on the lighthead, I used a zip tie to tightly wrap around the hex nut that mates the cord to the light head. Underneath that zip tie I placed a U shaped length of bungee with stopper knots on each end. The term for this is a “bight”. If I had just created a bungee loop around the cord, it wouldn’t have stayed neatly in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom