Canister light switch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steve nash

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
looking at getting another canister light. my current light has the operation button on the light head itself. the new light i'm looking at has the operation button on the battery can. I plan to mount the canister under the wing of my hollis katana 2. is it gonna be a pain in the ass to operate? anybody have thoughts on switch location preferences?

if you're going to sidemount, you really want a light without a physical switch. No one does that better than @Bobby with Underwater Light Dude. The new Gen6 is starting to ship this week and not only has a piezo button on the head for the switch, but it gives you multiple brightness settings on top of the battery output. You're also getting a Made in USA product that's made in Charleston SC.

On/off switch and brightness setting is better on the light head, lots of lights have that option. Not sure if UWLD has changed in the last few years but last time I used one I found having to hold the piezo switch for about 3-4 seconds to turn on/off a pain in the ass. At that time the brightness control was done by tapping the piezo button, also not very responsive. Prefer the instant response of my Gralmarine light (although magnetic switches have their own drawbacks) or the Halcyon Focus switch (again, has it’s own drawbacks for some).

SeaYa lights seem to have the same piezo switch set-up as UWLD so not sure UWLD has the exclusive or best necessarily, however, I haven’t tried both to verify.

@p_kos not saying it's exclusive, but it's quite certainly the best out there IMO. The long on/off is annoying, but it's there for a reason since accidental taps of piezo buttons can cause quite a lot of damage to lights if they're turned on at the surface due to heat. There is thermal protection in the UWLD circuits to prevent it from overheating, but it is a PITA to have to deal with a dead can light because it turned on in the car on the way to the dive site because it got bumped. I've never had any issues with the piezo for brightness settings, even in thick gloves. The on/off I consider the price I have to pay to not have to worry about it being bumped on accidentally.

if you're going to sidemount, you really want a light without a physical switch. No one does that better than @Bobby You're also getting a Made in USA product that's made in Charleston SC.

What is this SC you speak of?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom