Canister Light for PNW Diving - HP50, Focus 2.0, UWLD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bravokiloromeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been on about a dozen dives with my OrcaTorch D611 but there are a few things about it I don't like:

1. Button switch on the canister - constantly getting bumped and turning on when I don't want it on

2. Beam spread is a bit too wide - in my experience the beam spot is on the wider end, so I get a lot of backscatter and can't see into all the nooks and crannies too well around here.

3. Looking for a little bit more run-time headroom - D611 is rated for ~2 hrs @ 2400 lumens. That's about my current dive time for 2 tank dives.

Currently looking at lights like the Dive Rite HP50, Halcyon Focus 2.0, and UWLD's offerings. Hoping to keep it about $1k +/- a few hundred, so the HP50 seems like the best option here (would love the UWLD 3500 lumen but it's a bit pricey).

Seen a lot of good things about the UWLD lights, and a lot of feedback about the Focus 1.0 and 2.0. Curious if anyone has any experience using the HP50; haven't found too many threads about it other than that it should theoretically be a very good light.

Thanks!

HP50-10* beam angle, but I don't like the latched canister and the rotary switch at all. They claim 3500 lumen, but it's really about 2500 lumen after losses due to inefficient lenses. 10* is also REALLY wide. UWLD get's flack for 8.2* on their big lights so I would rule that one out

Focus 2.0 is focusable down to a square beam which is nice for daytime poking into stuff. Buddy has one and it isn't as bright as the 3500 lumen UWLD's but the lux output when focused down obviously exceeds that of the UWLD. The big issue I have with it is the size of the head though and I really don't like that. It's a holdover from HID days when the heads had to be that large, but there's no reason for it now.

UWLD LD15 has a 6* beam angle which is quite tight and usable. Light output is comparable to the Focus 2.0, and the light head is significantly smaller with no moving parts. With the mini battery you get 3+ hours on high and it's $1100. May be worth calling @Bobby and seeing if it's a good option for you.

Yeah the Orca has an 8* center spot and it seems like a good beam angle for what I need.

Would be nice to get something more than just the 1500 lumen UWLD, but they are just so pricey :/

End up getting the UWLD LD-15 with short battery for additional runtime. After doing some reading it sounds like the 6* vs 8* beam makes a significant difference in poor vis, and heard that the 15 outperforms the 26 in those conditions. Should be perfect for our "beautiful" waters here in OR/WA :)

That's what I've heard.

Still wish I had an unlimited budget so I could test all of these lights!

Just as an update, got to dive with someone who was using a Focus. The Focus is definitely better when at it's tightest beam angle - I could see that little square on top of anything the light was pointing at.

The UWLD is still a great light and more flexible than many of the other options (battery sizes, ease of charging, light heads) but I think the Focus is probably the best choice for those needing a super tight beam.

Just as an update, got to dive with someone who was using a Focus. The Focus is definitely better when at it's tightest beam angle - I could see that little square on top of anything the light was pointing at.

The UWLD is still a great light and more flexible than many of the other options (battery sizes, ease of charging, light heads) but I think the Focus is probably the best choice for those needing a super tight beam.

If you buy into the idea that your light is how you signal your buddy, and you want to do that during bright daylight, the Focus' "diamond" (not a "square," man!) can't be beat.

Yeah, I mean my UWLD is more than capable of that so I have no complaints in that regard, but it's hard to not be a bit jealous of the Focus' tight focus. The beam spot is so focused that you're seeing the shape of the LED emitter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom