Canister Light Cord Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stallion

Reaction score
I am building a can-light & just wanted to know if there is any sort of guideline as to what length the wire from the Can to Light Head should be.

I remeber reading one time that the cord should be long enough so that you can hold the light in your outstretched left hand, if the can is on your right hip. Is the good way to judge?

Thanks

stallion once bubbled...
I am building a can-light & just wanted to know if there is any sort of guideline as to what length the wire from the Can to Light Head should be.

I remeber reading one time that the cord should be long enough so that you can hold the light in your outstretched left hand, if the can is on your right hip. Is the good way to judge?

Thanks
Yes

But, If you are tall and big and have arm lenths of sasquachian proportions like me - well, it may be a little on the long side. Not sure what your equipment config is, but if you mount the canister on your right waist belt and hold the lamp in your left hand, you want to be able to move your left arm around, reach your nose, mouth, inflator(s) and still be able to reach around a pair of slung bottles to get to your pressure gauge. All this without it being too long and sloppy, IMHO. Hope that helps.

-Frank =-)

INHO YES,
I measure from my right hip to my left finger tips, with my arm straight out to my left, and add 6 inches.

This would allow use in either hand, and room to shorten the cable when (not if) it becomes worn at the entry points. Otherwise you'd have to replace the whole cable.

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom