Canister Light And Weight Belt...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've just bought a Salvo canister light and I have one doubt regarding my weight belt...

Should I remove 1 Kg. on the right side of my weight belt of should I try to "Compensate" the weight of the canister light with body position ???

Ciao, Erik Il Rosso

Erik Il Rosso:
I've just bought a Salvo canister light and I have one doubt regarding my weight belt...

Should I remove 1 Kg. on the right side of my weight belt of should I try to "Compensate" the weight of the canister light with body position ???

Ciao, Erik Il Rosso

You will be able to remove a few few lbs (~1 kg) from your weight belt when using the can light, but I doubt that a "side to side" difference of 1 kg will even be noticed. Try it.

Remember that lots of things get added and removed from the divers left side, reels, deco bottles (full and empty) without requiring reconfiguration of the weight belt.

Tobin

I'd say it depends on which can light you got ... there's got to be a difference between the 10W mini can and the 35W mega can, after all.

I use an older 18W Salvo, and made neither weighting nor distribution changes. I don't think the buoyancy of the canister makes enough difference to even bother worrying about.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Canisters are slightly negative, but as was mentioned, adding it to your belt won't really be enough to throw off your balance (i.e. roll you).

I removed my right waist weight (well... replaced it with a smaller one) simply because having it made routing my hose a little difficult.

Depends on which battery. It's not hugely negative, and you may be able to compensate.

That said, in the interests of carrying the minimum weight I can get away with (and since I use a pocket weight belt which made it very easy), I swapped out one of my weights for one that is less when I added my 21w (9mah) Salvo to my rig.

I think Tobin is right about this. Even with three full deco bottles on my left side, and just my rinky dinky 10W on my right, I still manage to trim out fine. I learned a little trick to just breathe with one side of my lungs, and of course, one side of the wing fills up much more than the other. :D

do it easy:
I learned a little trick to just breathe with one side of my lungs, and of course, one side of the wing fills up much more than the other. :D

That's exactly how I do it too.:wink:

Milo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom