Canister Light Advice & Metal Sub KL1256 vs KL1242

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watercooled81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking to buy my first decent dive light. So looking for suggestions.

I dive UK South Coast wrecks mainly - so the normal UK water conditions. Try to dive as much year round as possible.

As I am about to spend a bit of money up to (£600) I would like to know that it will last. It would be great if its
upgradable, so as money comes available as the years go on, I can get a better battery, longer cord, brighter/different bulbs - without having to fork out for all new kit.

I have read some previous posts but a lot seem a couple of years old, so wanted to make sure there are no new kids on the block!!!

A deal that I did see was a Metalsub KL1242 package at a reasonable price, but can seem to find any upgrade info. What are the difference between that one and the KL1256.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Cheers

I was in the same situation as you a year ago. I ended up buying a lightly used Agir 21w Hid cannister light with E/O cord. I've been very happy with the light, it gives a great punch and is good for signaling in dark Norwegian waters. Having a e/o cord has made me able to buy a LED-head as well to use if I'm doing several dives a day or just to have as a back up. In general I think buying second hand equipment is great if you stick to we'll known brands as Agir or Halcyon. Maybe not answering your question, but it least some thoughts about buying a cannister light.

Halycon is very upgradable, however with that being said....I recently made the switch off canisters to light in motion. The sola line is awesome, and extremely versatile. I have never had issues with burn time, and it's almost a fool proof light. Flood and spot capable, and they are bright. Did I say they were bright?

Back
Top Bottom