candy striped shrimp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Candy striped shrimp are one of my favorite local macro critters. Yesterday I scootered out to a little island a quarter-mile or so offshore with TSandM and Peter Guy in search of them. They only live in certain locales where a particular species of anemone grows ... and they're often hard to see because they're so small (usually less than an inch long) and very good at tucking into the tentacles of the anemone. But after a few frustrating attempts at a picture, I finally got a good one ...

CSS1.jpg

On the way back I spotted a larger than usual shrimp that was out a bit away from her anemone. She was acting kind of strange, in that when I pointed the camera at her she didn't jump away and hide like they usually do. When I got home and downloaded the pic onto my computer I discovered why. How do I know it was a her? Well, you decide ...

CSSPreggers.jpg

It's the first time ever I've seen a shrimp laying eggs. Actually, I still haven't seen it, since she's so small I couldn't tell what she was doing until I got home and put the picture up where I could view it on a big screen ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great shots Bob, one of my favourite subjects as well, but they are extremely shy. Thought I would add a couple of pics to your thread.

These were taken in Browning Pass. Not sure which site.

temp-5.jpg

temp-6.jpg

I didn't get anything as nice as your shots yesterday, Bob, but here's mine:

480249_10151522367999216_2028929347_n.jpg

It seemed as though almost every snake-lock anemone had one or more of these guys, but most of them were tiny and very skittish. This one was HUGE, and very immobile. I like immobile things when I'm carrying a camera :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom