Cancun to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aliltexgal

Registered
Reaction score
I need help - information, suggestions, advice...
I want to plan a trip for R&R and diving. I thought we would land in Cancun and take 10 days or so to drive down coast (then back). I wanted to go to Tulum area and heard area around Majahual and Chetumal was nice for beaches and diving.... then wanted to drive into Belize to dive. I have never been to any of these places - only Cancun and Cozumel. I have spent a day online and my eyes are bleeding!!! I am confused and frustrated. Don't know where to stay, how to get there, etc... Every where I look says do not drive into Belize because of rental car and insurance hassel. Any help to plan this trip would be much appreciated.

You are correct about the rental cars - not allowed to cross border into Belize. One option is to pick up a bus in Chetumal. For what it worth - save the time and hassel - who needs that on a holiday - take the road to Costa Maya (Xcalak and Mahahual). PS - it all part of the Meso-american reef. If you have the time - take the trip to Chinchorro, which depart from either Xcalak or Mahahual.

Also, there are plenty of options on the way down. Allow yourself some time for some non-diving - explore some ruins at Tulum or Coba.

Most of the highway 307 from Cancun south to Tulum is now mostly 4 lane highway. From Tulum south the road is 2 lanes and in many areas the road is being made into a wide 2 lane road. Suggestion - plan for daylight driving south of Tulum - only because with road construction Mexico is no known for marking lane shifts or construction areas very well and in dark(and rain) can be a bit confusing. Been there - done that - all of a sudden 4 lanes are now 2 lanes with oncoming traffic - no signs to warn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom