Cancun Referral Dives Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVCoug

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been browsing these forums for awhile and decided to post a request. My wife and I finished the pool and class sessions for our PADI Open Water Cert. but want to take the open water dives in Cancun. I know the diving is better in Cozumel, but we are staying in Cancun and figure it would be easier to do the dives there. Does anyone have a recomendation for a shop that would do the referral dives? Manta seems to be pretty good via the reviews, anyone heard of ScubaCancun? Thanks in advance for any information!

My partner and I did our cert dives with Manta in Cancun...we stayed in town, and they arranged pickup at our hotel our first day which was nice to get the lay of the land (i.e., find the shop, figure out the bus schedule, etc.). Arrived in Cancun on Wednesday, did the open water checkout dives Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.

I went on and did advanced open water (Manta provided the book, and did the readings on a self-study basis). They organize trips to the Cenotes (Chac Mool in our case) which was absolutely remarkable (spelled HAVE TO GO BACK), as well as Cozumel. Two of the Cozumel dives counted toward the specialty adventure dives for PADI advanced open water (deep and wreck), so it was a way of killing two birds with one stone as they say.

A couple other dives back in Cancun later, I wrapped up the advanced open water, and then we did a night dive. That was tough...fun, but the currents at night are strong and it was a brutal physical workout. It probably should have been done as a drift dive, but our divemaster (who was in far better shape) had us fighting surge and current...easy for someone young, in great shape, and who dives there regularly. For the average person, be ready to work...but it's worth it.

We also weighed Cozumel and some other options, but Cancun offered the most reasonable hotel accommodations along with a more exciting nightlife environment. With the Cenote and Cozumel trips arranged by Manta, we ended up having the best of all worlds.

I also did my referral dives with Manta and can recommend them highly. I had very personalized attention, learned a lot, and got hooked on diving for good.

One thing about many of the shops is they all take divers to Chitales Reef. Everyone get the idea that all the reefs are like that in Cancun. Ask first. Since it's your OW dives, I would want to go someplace where there is alot of stuff to see. Manchones, Punta Negra, Punta Nihuz are all good ones. Ask before you book.

I have a buddy working with Scuba Cancun. Drop him an email. He's a excellent instructor and a Brit. He will definitely take good care of you.

benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk

Hey WVCoug, welcome to :sblogo:
I did my referral dives with ScubaCancun, good operation, I did my AOW with Manta, also a good operation, and Cancun diving is fantastic IMO, try and do the freighter wreck if you get a chance.

And to know the lay of the land as someone mentioned, the hotel zone is one long road, and the bus schedule is wait 5 minutes max.

I have done my OW and Advanced with the same DM in Cancun. Plan to return next year for my Rescue cert. His name is Alvero Gonzalez. He is not associated with any of the dive operations but works independently. Originally he started with AquaWorld, then left to be the DM for Aventuras Palace Resort, which is where I originally met him (when I was married there).

He only takes groups of 4-7 on any given trip. For our cert dive there were 4 newbies so he brought along another DM to be safe. (He's very serious about safe diving.) If there are enough experienced divers in the group he usually doesn't bring another DM.

So far he has certified me, my husband, father-in-law, mother-in-law and on our trip this Christmas he will be certifying my sister-in-law. We've also recommended him to our friends that dive. He is very fun, GREAT at making you feel confident about your first dive, and gives a great total experience.

He also will take you to the cenotes, go with you to Cancun, and generally caters to whatever you want to do. We've been there for 3 trips (17 dives) and have dove someplace new every time. Excluding night dives which we do during the day then again at night.

Let me know if you'd like his contact info.

I meant to say that Alvero will go with to Cozumel too. He arranges the transportation and helps you with the ferry tickets...And if you get at all motion-sick, be sure to take Dramamine before the ferry ride. It can sometimes get rough.

Hello from windy Cancun! Thanks for all the information, I wish we had followed your advice! Aquaworld was located in our hotel and we wound up going with them, against my better judgement. They are okay, but it seems like the "cattleboat" thing is real. There were 6 of us taking our first open water dives and one instructor. Nice enough guy. It was so rough 2 of the divers got seasick and 1 couldn't do the second dive. Anyway, it was really rough, had a heck of a time getting back into the boat at the end of the second dive. Not Aquaworlds problem I guess. Well, 2 more dives on Saturday and we'll be certified. Thanks again for all the input. If we take any more dives, we'll try Manta or Scubacancun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom