Cancun/Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amoses

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
To preface these questions - I will be staying at Villa del Palmar in Cancun March 5-11. This resort is right next to the ferry to Isla Mujeres. The reason we are doing Cancun is that my sister has a free condo week there (and I am the only diver), otherwise I would be going to Cozumel instead.

I have dove in Cozumel many times, and it is awesome. Is Cancun worth diving? And, would it be better to go to Isla Mujeres instead? Or will I be disappointed with both? Any advise? Should I dive? If so where? And do you have recommendations for ops?

Below is cut and pasted from another post, re my Cancun trip in Dec, 2016. I believe that the Cancun & Isla Mujeres dives are mainly the same sites. Im not sure if the spotted eagle rays are still there in March. I was in a similar situation - went to Cancun bc of free housing. Im glad I went diving. Note: Ive never dove Cozumel, so dont have that standard of comparison

I just came back from Cancun in early Dec. I only did 2 dives there, but they were good.

I dove the C-55 wreck & the nearby reef as a 2nd dive. We had hoped to do the C-58 but the buoy was missing. The C-55 (and the C-58) is at 80' and the current can be strong - so its an advanced dive. We ended up going down the line, but it is often a drift dive. Lots of eagle rays & lots of fish. Not much of a wreck, the C-58 is supposed to be better, but lots of life.

The nearby reef - I believe its called "No Name Reef" -- but its the reef that is generally done as a 2nd dive, was the highlight of my vacation. A ~60', drift dive. This was a great reef, lots of life, a baby bull shark, eagle rays, swam with a green turtle for a bit, an eel, a big Nassau Grouper, just tons of fish, and a very healthy reef.

I would recommend diving one of these wrecks (the C-58 is prob better) and the nearby reef. Unfortunately I didn't dive any of the more OW sites, so I cant recommend anything else.

I dove with CancunScubaDiving.com, Alberto was a great DM. It was my first drift diving and he was great. I mainly chose them bc they were close (Km 3.5). I note that they may have been a bit pricier. They seem like a small outfit - they had a fairly small boat (backroll off the side, removable ladder on the side). There was only one other diver with me. I do note that they had us on a 30 min limit on the wreck dive, which maybe was a bit short.

Hi Aaron.... we will definitely miss you in Cozumel. We are going back in December.
20170609_192915.jpg

Back
Top Bottom