Cancun Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruzbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

So we are done with being holed up at home and are planning a trip for late April or early May 2021 to get some diving in. We were not able to dive this whole 2020 - ughhhh!

So with that said, we were considering a long weekend to FL again but we have dived in the Keys several times so I was thinking about a long weekend to Cancun as we have never been there or dove there. Thoughts?

We have Hilton points so we will stay at a Hilton property. What diver operators would you recommend? We don't need to do Cenote or Cozumel dives as we have already been there too. We just want some good reef/wreck diving for three days. Can we get this in Cancun? We need some diving time as we would like to go to Hawaii in November 2021 and there is no way they will be keen on us going there after not diving for two years so we need to get a few dives in in the spring time.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My internet research and email inquiries pointed me to Coconut Divers on the hotel strip and they did not disappoint. Great service, smaller groups, we dove the reefs off of Isla Mujeres, the Cenotes, and the Cozumel Reefs by boat from Playa del Carmen and they provided all transport from our hotel and the North end of the strip. I'm sure there are others, but our small group was very satisfied and I would not hesitate to recommend them. The prices seem pretty consistent among all the shops, so service is key.

There’s going to be lots of people who haven’t been in the water in awhile, and I doubt operators will be giving them grief about it.

Below is a post I made after I made a morning of dives in Cancun a few years ago.

Summary - the C-58 & C-55 are wrecks, but probably not that impressive as wrecks. However, there was a ton of sea life on them when I dove one of them (we dove the less intact wreck, the intact wreck is probably better - I forget which is which). It was Spotted Eagle Ray season, so that really was nice - Im not sure if April/May theyre still around.

However, the nearby reef generally done as the 2nd dive after either wreck, was full of life. I think its called "No Name Reef")

I only had a morning of dives, so Im not sure what other dives there are for 3 days

I went with Scuba Diving Cancun, a small outfit, mainly because they were walking distance. They were great.

Short dive report - good diving in Cancun/ Bull Sharks in PdC

I understand that you've already been to cozumel, but honestly, the money,time,and effort would be much more well spent by going back to cozumel, over diving cancun. Also, meandering around the plaza and downtown cozumel, is way more enjoyable than dealing with the zoo that Cancun has become.
I worked in both locales, and that's my 2 cents !

Hello Cruzbound, my name is Alvaro Gonzalez and I run AlwaysDiving in Cancun for over 36 years, WE SURVIVE TWO BIG STORMS RECENTLY!!! We are ready to take care of divers right now.
Indeed, in Cancun we have great coral reefs with lots of sea life not too deep, 50 feet, we also have a couple of wrecks to a maximum depth of 80 feet with lots of sea life.
We would love to take care of you and your family for great experiences, please send us a message in order to prepare you a dive plan.
BEST REGARDS TO ALL!!!

Went diving a couple weeks back with Scorpio Divers. Had a great time, as always. The boat wasn't crowded - only 3 customers - and we had beautiful weather.

Regarding the Cancun/Cozumel choice - if the trip is 'dive focused' - I definitely echo the above recommendation of Cozumel. There is so much to love about Cozumel diving.

In Cancun's favor - definitely better beaches than Cozumel resorts, many more choices for resorts (especially if you are going AI), and some just love the environment. We stay in Cancun all winter, and have really come to enjoy it. We aren't in the Hotel Zone, but out in the City, and it great. The City is bouncing back from the hurricanes and the pandemic.

If you are going to Cancun - my vote is for Scorpio Divers. Have dove with them a the last few years, and have never had a bad experience.

View media item 210582

Back
Top Bottom