Cancun diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surfsidedav

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from my first trip to Cancun, and while there got some diving in. The dive operator we went to seems to operate alot different than what I'm currently used to and I'm wondering if this is normal for the area. The story is we leave the dock on the bay side and head for the ocean. Upon getting there it had to be 4 ft seas with waves breaking the bow of the boat. Had I known this up front I wouldn't have even went. When we get to the wreck there is no anchoring up to the wreck, no decent lines, no 15' hang lines, no tag lines. Just jump off the back and supposedly drift down onto the wreck, with the 4-5 knot current (per DM). Most people were complaining that they ended up swimming upcurrent to get to the wreck and by the time they got there most of their tank was spent. Upon finishing the dive, people were popping up everywhere and the boat would grab them a few at a time as they came up. I know I'm not the Indiana Jones of diving, but to me this was a little much, even unsafe. Or is this my wake up call into the real diving world?
Thanks,
David
BTW, the next day with a different operator to Chac Mool was fantastic.

I assure you that your experience was NOT the norm in any way. In the first place, the seas were too high to dive. Make a copy of your post and email it to the operator, see what the response is. And don't dive with them again; there are a dozen dive ops in the Cancun area.

It is due to an experience similar to yours that my husband and I will not dive in Cancun again. The beaches there are gorgeous, but if I want to dive I go to Cozumel.

The day we dove Cancun we had similar sea conditions, actually I think they may have been even rougher. Infact, half the boat was sea sick before we ever got in the water. When we surfaced we were on the surface for probably 45 minutes before the boat saw us. Actually the only reason they saw us is that we waved my yellow fin. After that, we bought safety sausages. But I personally am not willing to risk those types of conditions again in Cancun.

Why did this get moved? It has nothing to do with the quality of diving in Cancun (which would make the move understandable), but with the manner in which a recreational wreck dive should be made. Cancun just happened to be the location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom