can you use a tank filled 14 months ago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
someone told me you shouldn't use a tank filled 14 months ago (it was a steel tank), because it could have had a little rust in it, and it could taste fine but the air could have went bad and you could die using the tank.

Is there any truth to this? if so, could you use a nitrox analyzer to verify the tank was still 21% air? i believe that tank was already emptied and had a visual done, but I was just curious anyhow...

thanks
Scott

Not sure, but at less than $10 for fill, why risk it?

What he said...

Maybe have it checked out also... Just a visual... Shouldn't be too expensive.

scottfiji:
The tank needed a visual and received one, along with a new fill, and its not my tank.
I was just curious if anyone knew the answers to my questions. Of course at $4 a fill, its better safe than sorry.

The corrosion consumes O2. You can use the O2 analyzer to see how much O2 there is and if there is noticeably less than there should be, you probably want to get it VIP'd ASAP, and possibly tumbled.

I bought a couple of PST's that were not used in five years, but were full, and had the same question. I had read that rust in the tank would lower the O2 level when rusting the tank. I used my Nitrox tester to check the O2 levels and they were the same as a fresh fill. Went ahead and used them with no reservations, and no problems. If it was a nice dry fill to start with there should not be enough moisture to cause any rust.

FrankT:
I bought a couple of PST's that were not used in five years, but were full, and had the same question. I had read that rust in the tank would lower the O2 level when rusting the tank. I used my Nitrox tester to check the O2 levels and they were the same as a fresh fill. Went ahead and used them with no reservations, and no problems. If it was a nice dry fill to start with there should not be enough moisture to cause any rust.

wow, five years?! That would be a little risky for me. Good to know this though as my friend asked me about this about a week ago.

Can't get it refilled without a vis anyway, so unless this is your last dive..??

Back
Top Bottom