Can you repair a leaky mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skip Mac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yes I know, I already bought two new masks BUT my old favorite is no longer made and it fit me perfectly. It's leaking in just one small spot where the glass seats in the skirt. So is there any goop that will adhere to the silicone and glass to seal the leak?

Before trying anything like that, examine the mask to see if it how it is assembled. Sometimes a frame just need some to be snapped back in place, or even clean some debris out of the seating surface first.

Older framed mask could often be disassembled all the way up to removing the glass. Then the skirt groove cleaned of any sand or debris. For these type of mask no adhesive is necessary as the seal is a compression seal. Reinstall the glass and frame and it should be good to go. I know not all framed mask are like that, but you may get lucky.

Skip to the 4:15 mark in this vid.
How Scuba Masks Are Made - AquaViews

Here is another vid showing the remove and replace procedure.

Frameless mask-I have no idea.

Not sure if this will work with my mask but I'll give it a go. Thanks.
Skip, do you have a framed or frameless mask?

How about posting a picture so we can better help you.

Don't have the mask handy for a photo but I looked closer and found the model on the skirt. It is a Cressi mask with a hard frame. The model I read on the skirt is Superocchio. Local shop said they weren't available but after I found the name Mr Google found them online. But still hate to toss stuff in the trash if it can be repaired. Know of any goop that will seal the edge of the frame?

Don't have the mask handy for a photo but I looked closer and found the model on the skirt. It is a Cressi mask with a hard frame. The model I read on the skirt is Superocchio. Local shop said they weren't available but after I found the name Mr Google found them online. But still hate to toss stuff in the trash if it can be repaired. Know of any goop that will seal the edge of the frame?
Try aquarium sealer (rtv) and work it into the seam, it may work but I would toss it and get used to another mask.

Know of any goop that will seal the edge of the frame?
upload_2020-3-9_9-57-23.jpeg

I found the above picture. It looks like a mask with a frame. Before putting any adhesive or sealant on it remove the frame and glass and clean all the surfaces. The lens seals against a soft surface. Please view the 2 videos in post #3.

Try aquarium sealer (rtv) and work it into the seam, it may work but I would toss it and get used to another mask.

The problem is not getting used to another mask, it's finding a low volume mask that fits. When I was about 10 I broke my nose and the healing left an enlarged area right on the bridge of my nose between my eyes. So most low volume mask rub on that area and are either uncomfortable or don't seal well. Also have a problem finding glasses that fit. :(

View attachment 572880

I found the above picture. It looks like a mask with a frame. Before putting any adhesive or sealant on it remove the frame and glass and clean all the surfaces. The lens seals against a soft surface. Please view the 2 videos in post #3.

Thanks. Have the mask here now and yes it does have a frame. Checking the videos next.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom