Can you help me ID a few more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Since I got such a great help with my first question here about ID, I have still a few fishes that I can't find in my fish guide.

All photos are from Similan Islands in Thailand, Andaman Sea and they are taken at coral reef at max 20ft, while snorkeling.

First photo is a small school of fish about 20cm (6-7 inch). I don't know what they are.

IMGP1134.jpg

Some sort of Wrasse?

IMGP1151.jpg

This is a boxfish but which one?

IMGP1194.jpg

This one is a Butterflyfish and I do apologize for the unsharp picture, but I can't find what speices it is. Could it be a Raccoon Butterflyfish maybe?

IMGP1234.jpg

No idea off of the top of my head on the 1st pic. The second pic looks to be some species of Halichoeres that looks familiar but I cant place at the moment. 3rd picture is not a boxfish, a puffer of some kind, looks to be some species of dog face. Id have to look over some books, thinking Arothron genus, The 4th pic is a Racoon Butterfly Chaetodon lunula

2 is a Bird Wrasse and three is a Dog face called a black spot!

Thank you very much. Then I have no 3 and 4 done. Still interested in opinions about no 1 and 2.

To be sure, do you mean that the puffer on no 3 is the blackspotted as below? Just another color?

IMGP1193.jpg

The 1st puffer will be identified with Arothron immaculatus by long tail fan with black upper margin.

The 2nd is Arothron nigropunctatus, another congeneric species of the 1st.

I am sorry I am trying to locate my Indo-Pacific book! Here is the fish face on!
MG_5270_Cool_Bird_Wrasse_fish_on_reef_FAIII_07.jpg

Ok, since I was so close but no cigar before, I’ll just ignore that…LOL

• Looks familiar, like something I’ve seen – in a book not here in HI….where was that…
  • Sure looks like our endemic Psychedelic Wrasse and nothing like our Bird Wrasses. Maybe Checkerboard Wrasse, CheckerboardWrasse.jpg or Yellowtail Coris…they do a lot of changes, Spottail Coris…. Hey look down the last link for Coris caudimacula…could that be photo 1, another stage?
  • I love people who know how to tell fish apart.
  • Got the Raccoon right, cute little buggers aren’t they?

On #1 I don't think it is, but not a great picture for identifying from. You could very well right on the "Bird" I do think they have more of a beak? This on was taken in Northern Fiji Bligh Water area!

HI Birdies, the first fish I fell in love with.

Back
Top Bottom