Can this hole affect performance? anyway to fix it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steve scuba3

Registered
Reaction score
Image attached
y30q8o1scru71.jpg

Flexseal tape can fix that

Probably no big deal other than why is there a hole, fill it with aqua seal and watch it. I would toss it and buy new fins.

You could cut that whole section out of both fins, and replace it with a more flexible membrane to convert the set into what I call the "Scoop Fin Concept." I tried to patent it in the 1970s, but it was already patented. In my opinion, the Mares Avanti fins (including the Avantiquattro) do not have enough of a scoop action. I used material from the cutout to make side layers to sanwitch the more flexible membrane between, and then fastened it with both ShoeGoo and pop rivets. It makes for a much more efficient fin at propelling water back behind the fin.

The third photo, with the orange flexible membrane, shows my modification of the AMF Voit V66 full foot fins for the Scoop Fin concept. Note the lines showing water flow. This photo was taken in 1970 in Alexander Springs State Park, Florida while I was still in the U.S. Air Force.

This modification relieves stress on the ankle too, as the Avanti fins do still have a rather large "dead" area in the top part of the fin's blade. Plus, it is more efficient. The spreadsheet shows fin trials using three identical sets of full-foot plana fins. One had the original flat blade, one had a split (I cut it down the middle), and one the scoop design. These are stroke counts over a 50 yard pool, which incorporated one turn at 25 yards.

Good Luck.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Avanti's Scoop.jpg
    Avanti's Scoop.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Avanti-Scoop & JetFin.jpg
    Avanti-Scoop & JetFin.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Viking with Scoop Fin Mod.jpg
    Viking with Scoop Fin Mod.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Fin Trials.jpg
    Fin Trials.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 58
I bought it used from someone he told me it came like this from factory.
It looks like the black rib is broken off at the end, maybe it was a “second” if you bought it like that just use it and see what happens.

Looks tiny..... Use it if it works.

That fin will likely fail (tear out) at the most inopportune time on an expensive vacation trip on the best dive of the trip. Time to get some new fins.

If the hole was in the fins from new as a defect (??) as stated in the other thread you started then it is unlikely to affect performance but I still think it may lead to a tear or debonding.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom