Can someone please explain to me RAW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Is it fairly true for me to assume that if you shoot in RAW about the only setting that you have to worry about (except for flash/strobe) is the focus? I haven't used RAW yet - but I intend to next week. Using the Oly 5050/Inon D180 which settings do you still need to control?

I have an Oly C5050Z, in a PT015 housing and an Inon D-180 strobe. Could someone please explain to me if I should be shooting in RAW rather than regular JPG? I don't know the differences/advantages/disadvantages of these two settings.

Software-wise, I carry Adobe Photshop Elements 2.0 as well as Adobe Photoshop 7.0.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Kim:
Is it fairly true for me to assume that if you shoot in RAW about the only setting that you have to worry about (except for flash/strobe) is the focus? I haven't used RAW yet - but I intend to next week. Using the Oly 5050/Inon D180 which settings do you still need to control?
Ummm...not sure what you are asking?

You need to set your aperture, ISO, flash modes, shutter etc. The only thing you don't have to deal with is WB...

Or am I missing something today (now that I am officially middle aged it's possible
03.gif
)

You will need to make sure that your software can handle RAW files to get the most out of them - PS CS and Elements 3 are two that do. Your RAW files will have a suffix of ORF from your 5050

I think shooting RAW is great. It does take more time to write to card. BUT it gives you the most information possible in each image. This essentially means that you have a whole lot more to work with in post-processing.

It does not mean that you don't have to take time to get the shot "right" in the first place, though. It just gives you greater control over the image. You will still need to set up your shot, focus, choose an aperture & shutter & ISO combination that will give you the result you want. RAW images do have quite a bit of latitude for correcting and/or tweaking your shot but keep in mind that the better the information in the original the better the final product will be. You can actually take a shot that looks black and get a happy snap from it - which is good for those grab shots - but it will never be magazine quality!

You also don't need to set your white balance underwater - this can be done once you download. It's a time saver underwater and offers better control, I think.

Do a search in the Underwater Photography section for RAW - there were some great conversations a couple of months back that went into quite a bit of detail. Post questions as you have them!

HTH

By the way, can you still shoot in "Auto" mode? Cuz I'm not winderful in setting all my particular settings. Especially for that reef or fish "fly by".

No Alcina...it was me having a senile moment I think! You are of course correct - although I believe you can effectively alter aperture a little for over exposed/under exposed.

Yes, you can adjust quite a bit for exposure if you screw up it up in RAW - another wonderful thing! :)

But the image won't be as good as if you had set things almost correctly in the first place. I'll have a look through my files in the next day or so - I have some that are almost black, but when run through RAW converter you can actually see the details...pretty good for a snap shot.

Like all that Alcina said, basically RAW file recorded everything from the sensor in 16 bits and write it uncompressed to the card so you can get maximum data for the picture. Resolution does not really change between RAW and JPEG. However this is not true of Nikon RAW file from current Nikon such as D70 which is 12 bits compressed (eventhough Nikon clamined that its compression is lossless, whatever that is). The major nice thing like Alcina said, with JPEG, you are stuck with white balance made by the camera whereas when you import the picture in RAW, you do have the option of importing the picture as is and tweak it yourself. Oly auto white balance is not bad but when you are shooting in unusal environment like underwater, especially if the strobe is a bit off, it does not always do to auto white balance accurately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom