Can PADI instructors work from home, thus not related to any dive shop?? opinions pl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aqurius

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey everyone ,
i am wondering the following.
can instructors work "from home" ?
i am divemaster and cmas 2 star diver, do have a small boat and 2.5 complete sets of divegear. if i now do my idc could i than teach friends, neighbors etc and register them or do padi instructors need to be affiliated to a center ?
greetings from spain

Yep, you can teach independantly. You won't get much in the way of help or benefits from PADI, as their system is entirely focused on promoting membership of their Resorts and Retailers Association - but you can do it.

Part of my husband's teaching activities is as an independent instructor, using our back yard pool.

Unlike SSI, yes you can teach as an independent Instructor. In S.E. TX right now there is no SSI store and a very good Inst./friend that can not teach. Sad their business model is set up in such a way.

You may want to look for other agencies that would work better with "independent" instructors than PADI. NAUI is one of them.

You may want to look for other agencies that would work better with "independent" instructors than PADI. NAUI is one of them.

Really not being a smart butt, what does NAUI do different than PADI? Sounds like SSI is the only agency listed that you are unable to free lance. From the PADI instructors responses it sounds like it's an easy deal with PADI ??????

Costs are lower with NAUI. I've had problems trying to get independent PADI instructions because the required materials are expensive and they aren't able to get a good rate on pool time or equipment rental. I've had NAUI instructors willing to do independent courses at competitive prices to dive shop prices, but PADI instructors have to get pretty close to gratis (at least in my experience) if they don't have pool/gear access.

It sounds from PADI instructors that if you are not a dive center, you don't matter to PADI or at least that's what I understood from most posts up above. If a person is going to be an independent instructor, he should keep his options open and consider at all available agencies and to ascertain which one will be better for him and his business.

thanks everyone for the quick answers, its good to know that there is a way .i dont know a lot about naui but maybe i have to have a closer look.
greetings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom