Can one have Dive Instructor status from more than one agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My gut says yes to the subject header, but would like confirmation.

Say someone wanted to be a PADI instructor, an SSI instructor, and a NAUI instructor, would it be possible to do that?

Yes, there is nothing TRULY preventing anyone from attaining them. Just $. But I guess I'm asking if each agency has an oath, or when signing-up to become an instructor a check box for "I agree to only conduct and teach _________ principles, and I will not instruct another agency's standards" or something to that affect?

Of course they can. When teaching a class under a specific agencies banner, they must follow the standards of that agency.

for the agencies you listed, no. some technical agencies, yes, but many technical instructors teach for multiple agencies. Less common with recreational instructors

I've been with the same club/shop/instructors since i started, they can teach pretty much any course from any agency. They do tend to lean towards SSI though especially for the more basic courses.

Are SSI courses better to teach? Are they cheaper than other courses to certify? What would be the reason for preferring one agency over another?

I've been with the same club/shop/instructors since i started, they can teach pretty much any course from any agency. They do tend to lean towards SSI though especially for the more basic courses.

Are SSI courses better to teach? Are they cheaper than other courses to certify? What would be the reason for preferring one agency over another?

SSI instructors cannot teach everywhere, since the certifications HAVE to run over a SSI Shop. Good deal for the SSI shop since their instructors have to stay loyal. or find another SSI Shop to work for. I'm not sure but I believe that SSI limits the number of SSI shops in a geographical location, iow. you should not be able to find 2 SSI Shops near eachother. Another way of keeping SSI instructors loyal. SSI is a better deal for the shop than it is for the instructor, who can no longer freelance.

Michael

Say someone wanted to be a PADI instructor, an SSI instructor, and a NAUI instructor, would it be possible to do that?
Yes

Yes, but. PADI and perhaps others does include a line about not badmouthing PADI its instructors, or its shops . Maybe others have similar rules. A tactful instructor could navigate the "why agency X and noyagency Y" questions easily enough

I'm not sure this standard gets enforced though. If it is, I'd hope bad actors who bad-mouth another instructor to steal customers would be first to be sanctioned.

for the agencies you listed, no. some technical agencies, yes, but many technical instructors teach for multiple agencies. Less common with recreational instructors
the agencies (some)only restrict multi agencies at the Instructor trainer/course director level. It's fine to be a multi agency instructor with whoever the instructors wants to

Instructors and those who wish to become instructors need to choose what agency works for them that would offer best chance to actually get work teaching and getting paid. If SSI has a strong local facility near their home, then it is foolish to become a NAUI or PADI instructor. When I first became an instructor NASDS had the strongest presence for me, so I was a NASDS instructor, then it became SSI, so I became a SSI instructor. Now locally it is PADI, so guess what I did. Go where the money is , meaning what agency is in demand in your area , if you want to be an active instructor and actually teach and get paid. Otherwise if you just want a card that says instructor and never , or rarely actually teach a class and complain about high member fees and high insurance costs choose an agency that has no demand in your area. Simple business choices.

My gut says yes to the subject header, but would like confirmation.

Yes, there is nothing TRULY preventing anyone from attaining them. Just $. But I guess I'm asking if each agency has an oath, or when signing-up to become an instructor a check box for "I agree to only conduct and teach _________ principles, and I will not instruct another agency's standards" or something to that affect?

Great topic, let us take a quick look and see what we can determined from an Instructor who teaches through multiple agencies. I currently hold an SSI Assistant Instructor Trainer rating, a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer rating, a PDIC Instructor Trainer rating, an SEI Instructor Trainer rating, and a CMAS 3 Star Course Director rating. So to answer your question, yes you can have a Dive Instructor status from multiple agencies. As far as an Oath that we swear too, well, we have Instructor Agreements (sometimes called Dive Professional Agreements) that we file with our training agencies that we must follow. And of course standards from each agency must be followed, with no exceptions unless authorized by the training agency, during all training sessions. On a regular basis, I find myself conducting Open Water check out dives with students from different agencies at the same time, so that means I carry multiple slates underwater, and each student has to perform different sets of skills per dive. Its a pain sometimes, but that is business (life). At the end of the day, my bills stay paid, students are getting great quality training (at least in my opinion), and I get to go diving. Hopefully that answered your question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom