Can No Longer Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tankus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ve been certified for thirty years and have logged hundreds of dives. I have just undergone a major surgery that will prevent any further diving. I’m very down but it is what it is. Any thoughts on how I can somehow remain active in the dive community when I can no longer dive? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe hooking up with your dive shop for a part time position. Keeps you in touch with divers and gives you a chance to share your knowledge with newer divers, another would be checking your area for a dive squad that may be in need of a topside tender, experienced people are hard to find ; Good luck in the future

what about working on a boat? Or getting involved with a diving group, arranging planning and helping out newbies? I think you might get some pleasure from seeing other people able to enjoy your previous passion, even if you can no longer partake.

Research wrecks and present your findings to your local dive club. Be your club's shore support guy.

Maybe hooking up with your dive shop for a part time position. Keeps you in touch with divers and gives you a chance to share your knowledge with newer divers, another would be checking your area for a dive squad that may be in need of a topside tender, experienced people are hard to find ; Good luck in the future
This. One of the dive shops in my town has such an employee. I enjoy talking to him when I go to that shop. I don't recall the reason that guy couldn't dive, just that he can't dive anymore.

@Tankus are you sure you can't dive anymore? I thought I wasn't going to be diving anymore after my second spine surgery. I did have to give up cave diving, but open water diving is totally doable.

I am not a medical doctor, so I can't offer any advice other than to ask if you have checked with DAN or a doctor well versed in diving?

Three years ago I had multiple surgeries and was told I would probably never dive again. Fortunately, in my case, I have resumed this year and am on my way to 50 or more dives this year (vs the 300-350 I used to do).

I do feel your pain and there have been some good suggestions by previous posters.

I’ve been certified for thirty years and have logged hundreds of dives. I have just undergone a major surgery that will prevent any further diving. I’m very down but it is what it is. Any thoughts on how I can somehow remain active in the dive community when I can no longer dive? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
May we ask, what kind is surgery now prevents you from diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom