Can Make Own Battery Pack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bonmatt

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can make your own battery pack out of rechargeable AA's? The requirements are 6V and 3.9W.

It's a 4 tear-old Samsung, and the battery pack seems specialized and hard to find. They want $120 for the charger and pack.

Thanks,

Jim

thats a high current application... use NiCd recargables

6v and 3.9 W just means 650 mA. Is that high?

There are several websites dedicated to the task.

You can get 3000mAH NiMH AAs now. 5 of those should give you the V that you need.

Not sure how you need it to be packaged, that is always the tricky part :)

If you know the part#, do a google search. You may be able to find a cheap 3rd party pack.

Peter

pdoege once bubbled...
There are several websites dedicated to the task.

You can get 3000mAH NiMH AAs now. 5 of those should give you the V that you need.

Peter

Peter, where did you see 3000 mAH NiMH AA battery? So far I have seen only 2200-2300 mAH NiMH AA batteries.
Hmmm, may be by the time I get Oly 5050 with a large CF card, I won't have to open the housing very often, may be once a day in the evening only. That would be nice, :)

You are correct. I mis-remembered the mAH!

2200 mAH is the proper amount.

Peter

I did do a search for the battery packs/charger, but it must be a few years old and specialized. Couldn't find any for sale.

It was suggested that instead of plugging my homemade pack into the battery connectors, I should instead plug it into the wall DC plug receptor. Sounds right to me.

My rechargeable AA's show 1800 mAh. I guess they are 1.2V. Anyone have a sense how much life per charge they may give? CLoser to a few minutes or closer to an hour?

Thanks.

Jim

pdoege once bubbled...
You are correct. I mis-remembered the mAH!

2200 mAH is the proper amount.

Peter

DRAT!!! I was getting ready to stock up on 3000's :wink:

bonmatt once bubbled...

My rechargeable AA's show 1800 mAh. I guess they are 1.2V. Anyone have a sense how much life per charge they may give? CLoser to a few minutes or closer to an hour?

that's what the 'mAh' tells you! it stands for Milli Amps per Hour.
a steady drain of 600 mA for 3 hours will drain a 1800mAh completely.
this all assumes a NEW/ Perfect battery, your milage will very - as the battery ages it loses storage capacity.

this does not mean that a 1000 mAh bat will supply 2000mA for a 1/2 hour however, it may but at some point the the bat can't keep up.

Almost solved. Radio Shack has battery pack-type holders. I put in 4 AA's (non-rechargeable ones, 1.5V), and wired it to a cut power cord to plug into my camcorder. Total cost about $12.

Though the camcorder initially came on, it indicated low battery. Could my wire connections be suspect? (I stripped the wire and wound the two together to make the connection.)

I tested the batteries in my digital camera (not a camcorder) and it came on, so I guess the batteries are good (though I bought 4 at a dollar store). I think they are alkaline...it doesn't say on the package.

Is hand-twisting wires together not always completely conductive? Would these batteries put out enough amps? (it just says 1.5V)

Jim

Back
Top Bottom