Can light questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meister481

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to purchase a Can light in the near future. I'm upgrading from a light cannon so I'm not a total noob when it comes to HID. I've done some research and would like some input from the old salts on here. I was at Our World Underwater and got to see the Halcyon and Green force lights and was very impressed with the robust designs. I'll be doing a great deal of wreck diving in the lakes and some ocean stuff.

I want a light to be reliable more than anything else, I'll be doing deco dives inside wrecks and some caves in the near future and I consider this a piece of life support equipment.

-Slimline design, 3-4 hour burntime

-I'm thinking a 10w bulb is enough but I wouldn't balk at more.

-It needs to be a robust design that can take a hit (within reason) and still work.

-A positive switch that I can tell is on or not by switch position using touch.

-Smaller head design that won't get in the way.

-Comfy Goodman handle.

-The components shouldn't flood if the wire gets nicked.

-I don't mind paying for quality.

-A manufacturer who stands behind their product.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, manufacturers are welcome to post and explain the strengths of their products and even offer demo model to me!

I don't know what you mean by "won't flood if the wire gets nicked" but my Salvo light meets all your other criteria. I have the remote ballast light, which reduces the size of the lighthead. The Brightstar bulb is pretty durable -- I have actually, to my horror, dropped my lighthead on concrete and had it survive that.

Meister481:
I'm going to purchase a Can light in the near future. I'm upgrading from a light cannon so I'm not a total noob when it comes to HID. I've done some research and would like some input from the old salts on here. I was at Our World Underwater and got to see the Halcyon and Green force lights and was very impressed with the robust designs. I'll be doing a great deal of wreck diving in the lakes and some ocean stuff.

I want a light to be reliable more than anything else, I'll be doing deco dives inside wrecks and some caves in the near future and I consider this a piece of life support equipment.

-Slimline design, 3-4 hour burntime

-I'm thinking a 10w bulb is enough but I wouldn't balk at more.

-It needs to be a robust design that can take a hit (within reason) and still work.

-A positive switch that I can tell is on or not by switch position using touch.

-Smaller head design that won't get in the way.

-Comfy Goodman handle.

-The components shouldn't flood if the wire gets nicked.

-I don't mind paying for quality.

-A manufacturer who stands behind their product.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, manufacturers are welcome to post and explain the strengths of their products and even offer demo model to me!

Hi Meister481

If you were at OWU, I am sure we met.

I am glad you are considering Green Force. In assessing your needs, our systems meet them.

The first point is that Green Force is not a light, but a lighting system, it does not become obsolete, it is completely modular. As you might have seen at OWU, our batteries are sealed, no "pop" tops, which is a failure point. Our activation is twist on, twist off, backed up by 3 O-rings. To get it past the last O-ring takes fifteen complete turns. We have a 10 watt HID in either a 6 degree or 13. Our Low rider Goodman handle is ergonomically contoured and also allows you maintain hand functions. Our systems are built to last and can take a beating. We stand behind everything 100%. In 3 years of distributing Green Force, we have not had a flooded system sent back for repairs. For that matter, we do do many repairs at all, and we have a lot of systems on the market.

The system in mind: an FII w/ 10 watt HID, Low rider Goodman and either a belt mount or back plate mount. You will get 4.5 hours burn time 2-3 hour recharge.

MSRP 900.00.

If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks - Greg

Manta:
Hi Meister481

If you were at OWU, I am sure we met.

I am glad you are considering Green Force. In assessing your needs, our systems meet them.

The first point is that Green Force is not a light, but a lighting system, it does not become obsolete, it is completely modular. As you might have seen at OWU, our batteries are sealed, no "pop" tops, which is a failure point. Our activation is twist on, twist off, backed up by 3 O-rings. To get it past the last O-ring takes fifteen complete turns. We have a 10 watt HID in either a 6 degree or 13. Our Low rider Goodman handle is ergonomically contoured and also allows you maintain hand functions. Our systems are built to last and can take a beating. We stand behind everything 100%. In 3 years of distributing Green Force, we have not had a flooded system sent back for repairs. For that matter, we do do many repairs at all, and we have a lot of systems on the market.

The system in mind: an FII w/ 10 watt HID, Low rider Goodman and either a belt mount or back plate mount. You will get 4.5 hours burn time 2-3 hour recharge.

MSRP 900.00.

If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks - Greg

I met you back in march I believe, at Stuart Cove's. I liked your system but I'm not sold on the length of the light head.

Consider the Salvo. They have a dry lid system that meets your cord nick requirements. If I can help you with one please let me know. They are a top performing light at an affordable price.

You may also look at the Metalsub lights, I have the HID125 and it is great. If you want a light that will meet all your criteria above, then this is the one for you -- heck it even ahs a few other features you didn't mention above....and best of all, the battery can never flod since it has a wet-connect system. You can get them here.

I tested/reviewed one of their lights - read it here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=124232&highlight=metalsub

If a small light head is important to you, check out Dive Rite's 10w Sunspot HID. Very unobtrusive. Got about a hundred dives on mine so far with zero problems.

Another vote for Salvo. Love mine!!!

hunter991 should be able to hook you up with something if you are interested in Salvo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom