Can light question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have never used a can light and quite frankly have only seen them in the dive shop, so be gentle with me.

I see pictures of some folks wearing the can on the right side and stringing the cord across their body to the left hand. Others have the can on the same side as the Goodman handle.

What are the reasons/advantages to each way.

Thank you,

Couv

The advantages of wearing the canister on the right are that it doesn't interfere with the left hip d-ring, which is used for one's SPG and to clip off stages or deco bottles. It also serves to anchor a 7' hose in that position.

The light head in the left hand means you do not blind the receiving diver when donating the primary. It also keeps the light away from the scooter, if you are using a DPV. Running the light across the body uses up some of the cord length, as well, so you don't have to wrap the cord around your arm to keep it from dangling. This makes it much easier to clip the light off temporarily, if you need to use both hands for something and don't want the Goodman handle in the middle of it.

Thank you Lynn,

What happened to that cool Santa cap you (your avatar) normally wear this time of year?

Couv

If you are buying and wearing one of the older can light models, which are lead-acid, these are very large and heavy, and if you connect it to your BPW belt, then the right side is your only choice, since your argon bottle will likely hang down at your left.

If you are connecting it to your plate, then again, your argon bottle will likely be on your left, so that leaves the right side of your plate.

When you order a light, or buy one, the supplier will normally ask you whether you plan to mount it on you plate or on your belt. I recommend the belt, because that is easier to reach to turn on and off.

The most modern lithium-ion lights have very small and lite batteries, and so the cannister is about the size of your hand, only narrower. These you can wear on either side, since they do not collide with either your deco bottle(s) nor your argon bottle. And the best place again is on your BPW belt. And since your right side is unincumbered, that is the best place for it, if you have only one. If you have 2, then one on either side works fine, for the lite weight and more compact LIon lights.

If you are not dragging along an argon bottle nor deco bottles, you can wear it on either side. That would likely be for a warm water night dive in the tropics. But most people are in the habit of mounting them on the right, just out of habit.

You can easily change hands with holding the lantern. You won't die and go to hades if you don't constantly hold it in your left hand. I can easily hold onto both my DPV handle and my lantern in my right hand at the same time. You cannot signal this way while riding the DPV, but it is a great relief occasionally, or if you need your left hand free.

Last edited:
You won't die and go to hades if you don't constantly hold it in your left hand.

Nobody suggests that you will, and in fact, thumbing the light with the right hand is recommended for dumping from the wing, or check one's SPG, or other things that would give spurious light signals.

Couv, the Christmas Borg is on my old computer, and every time I think I should upload it, I'm not where that computer is to get to the file . . . Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom