Can Light For Me Lights be trusted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EireDiver606

Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t have anything against this brand and I am wondering if it is a credible company.

Here there is a good canister deal on a light for me light Light For Me NW7 with 8.6Ah Battery

I saw that there was numerous manufacturing delays with LFM which is a bit suspect. I’ve also noticed that their light heads are quite big and wide which is odd. Their cable doesn’t look great either.

Dir direct is a great shop so I’m sure they buy quality goods like everything else they sell.

I’m curious though, does anyone actually know anything about their lights? Anyone have any? Are they good quality? Customer service existent?

I used one for around a year until switching to a halcyon focus. My girlfriend and another team mate both use them still. They’re a good mid range product.
Can’t say I know much about customer service but DIRdirect are on the ball when it comes to replacing faulty kit etc.

For that money I’d be looking at a second hand focus or flare.

I used one for around a year until switching to a halcyon focus. My girlfriend and another team mate both use them still. They’re a good mid range product.
Can’t say I know much about customer service but DIRdirect are on the ball when it comes to replacing faulty kit etc.

For that money I’d be looking at a second hand focus or flare.
Interesting. How bright are the halcyon lights and what’s their burn time?

Good lights, horrible customer service. If cheap enough I'd buy it. If close to LM/H/UWLD etc, hard pass.

Bought a L4M lighthead new 3 years ago. Tried it out in a dark garage and returned it to L4M for a refund.
My gripes:
The beam was at least twice as wide as advertised.
The black andonizing was the softest and thinnest andonizing that I have ever experienced - a long way from so called Mil Spec andonizing.

Ended up spending 50% more and getting a Northern Light Scuba 40W Super Spot with dimmer which I have been very happy with for the last 3 years, the one time I sent it in for service (out of warranty) it was repaired and returned to me quickly at no charge from Finland, with a bag of gummi bears and a short note apologizing for my lighthead needing service after 2 years of being beaten up.
If I ever need another Lighthead, guess who I'm going to buy it from.

Michael

the L4m you linked is 1200lumen narrow which is the one that matters. The Halcyon Focus 2.0 has comparable lumen output. It's not "huge" but it's certainly "enough".
I say the narrow beam is the one that matters, because vis has to be really good to get away with video spread lights.

If you can swing it, the LD15 from @Bobby will have more light output, a truly custom built light head and optics system, but for you it also has a service center in the EU if for some reason you ever needed it. Halcyon and LM will have to come back to the US for repair and that to me would be a deal breaker

the L4m you linked is 1200lumen narrow which is the one that matters. The Halcyon Focus 2.0 has comparable lumen output. It's not "huge" but it's certainly "enough".
I say the narrow beam is the one that matters, because vis has to be really good to get away with video spread lights.

If you can swing it, the LD15 from @Bobby will have more light output, a truly custom built light head and optics system, but for you it also has a service center in the EU if for some reason you ever needed it. Halcyon and LM will have to come back to the US for repair and that to me would be a deal breaker
On the website it says:

• 3 modes of light
  • 4 LEDs on - 1200 lumens - 5 degrees, 18W
  • 3 LEDs on - 3600 lumens - 70 degrees, 30W
  • All 7 LEDs on - 4800 lumens, 48W
1200lm is not a lot I would hope that the focus 2 is a lot brighter. Even if lumens isn’t the only measurement that matters. Yes I am a massive fan of narrow beams because the others can’t be used to signal effectively in bad vis.

Thanks for your suggestion of @Bobby lights. Is this UWLD? I don’t know anything of this light. Can someone tell me the specs and how much it costs? Appreciated.

@EireDiver606 how is the vis in your local water? If the vis is anything less than about 15m, you won't be able to do much with the 70* portion of that light.

Lumen isn't everything, lumen efficiency matters. UWLD has the best efficiency out the lens of any of them and Halcyon is pretty good. When Bobby says 1500lumen, you're going to get every bit of it and it will appear significantly brighter than the L4M, same with the Halcyon.

@Bobby is a cave explorer who founded and runs UWLD.
Info on the LD15 is here. Cost starts at $1100usd for 3.5hrs of burn time on high and goes up based on battery size.
http://uwlightdude.com/product/ld-15/

1100 USD? For the lower model? I don’t need the best light but I would like a good can light that will get me to the start of tech diving training.

I’m definitely not spending 1100.....yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom