• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Can Indonesia afford to pay for the vaccination program?

Discussion in 'Covid and pandemic discussions' started by Centrals, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Wibble

Wibble Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The challenge is that we just don't know as covid was only "discovered" at the end of 2019 and the first vaccines developed in the beginning of 2020, i.e. less than a year ago.

The good news is that the various vaccines -- using all sorts of different techniques -- seem to be quite effective against covid. The bad news is we're still groping around in the dark regarding how durable the vaccine efficacy is (nor v.rare side effects).

2. Wibble

Wibble Contributor

Not really sure how 'blaming' makes any real difference. My problem is my life's been turned upside down with this damn virus and governmental responses to it. All I'm interested in is getting back out to be able to meet people again; working in a normal office, not in my back bedroom/study.

It is odd though that China reports so few deaths from Covid, currently 3 deaths per million (4,700 deaths), compared with other countries (USA at 1,700 deaths per million, >560,000 deaths).

There'll be many PhD's awarded on the outcome of covid in the years to com. Definitely some correlation with the type of society, liberal democracy vs. authoritarian.

3. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    1. I know who to blame for spreading the "wuhan virus". Pay back + interest in the future, just do not forget about it.
    2. Bali would have no problem to raise the money necessary to vaccinate all her inhabitants. It just needs competent people to run the program.
    3. HK has ordered in excess of 20m doses for a city around 8m! I hope they are not going to throw the excess away! Vaccine has limited shelf-life.
    4. How effective is the vaccine in the long run is still unknown. Wait and see. Fingers crossed.
    5. Vaccine donation is already a political gesture initiated none other than china!
    6. Forget all the official figures released by the chinese!!!!
    7. Look at EU!!!!! Choice of vaccine is still questionable among couple of big players! Still could not understand why Merkel would had got herself involved!
    8. It would be really funny if AZ has longer lasting effect than others.

4. Indah

Indah Contributor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Several political leaders made the wrong decisions while ignoring science. To mention two, who should be kept responsible for hundreds of thousand of deaths: Trump and Bolsanaro. By the way, the exclamation marks do not add any value.

Darnold9999 and chillyinCanada like this.
  5. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    Ha ha !!!!!!

If you have followed the thread in the "pub" you will realize there are plenty of American do not agree with what you had said about trump!
    And if you have access to FOX TV then you will have the same answer !!

It is what they believe not just you!

6. ontdiver

ontdiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  7. Mod63

Mod63 Dive Con

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    You mean coping with a supplier at as of April 1st has come up 70 mio doses short will be be delinquent by 230 mio doses come July 1st? Yes, the EU will cope. By the end of September, the EU has a theoretical surplus of cose to 500 mio pepole fully vaccinated.
    As I only have a clear picture of Germany, Vaxzevria will be dropped by end of May/early June for primary doses as we will have run out of elegible people, releasing around 60 mio doses (if they get ever manufactured).

8. Wibble

Wibble Contributor

That's what the Best Endeavours contract says.

Pretty much all of the vaccines are being ramped up; massive investment in production and it takes time to develop.

9. Indah

Indah Contributor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    hilljo88 and tridacna like this.
  10. Mod63

Mod63 Dive Con

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Except for the one German manufacturer who has been delivering on time, on quantity and has already exceeded it's obligations by 14 Mio doses and is expected to overdeliver even more. :D