Can I use the 'built in' adapter from my Atomic SS1 inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisMBC

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I have an Atomic SS1 as my safe second, but the stock Atomic inflator hose is a little long. While changing reg sets, I decided to fix this, and bought a 22" regulator hose and the DGX adapter to make it work with my SS1. So far, so good.

While I was taking things apart to make the change, I checked out the Atomic inflator hose for the first time ever, and was very surprised to see that.....it appears to be a regulator hose with its own 'adapter' on the end.

Here's my question: is there any reason I can't use the Atomic adapter on my new, shorter octo-inflator hose, rather than the DGX adapter? It appears to fit just fine on other regulator hoses I have lying around, and the QD is much nicer and lower-profile than on the DGX adapter (which, for the record, functions fine just isn't as nice).

Pics for illustration.

IMG_1881.jpg
Pic 1: the adapter on its own

IMG_1880.jpg
Pic 2: the adapter on the Atomic hose

IMG_1879.jpg
Pic 3: the adapter on a random regulator hose I had

If the new hose you bought is a LP hose like you would use on a second stage, then the Atomic adapter should be fine. If you bought an inflator hose, no. A standard inflator hose does allow sufficient volume flow for the SS1. Your description and pics confuse me.

If the new hose you bought is a LP hose like you would use on a second stage, then the Atomic adapter should be fine. If you bought an inflator hose, no. A standard inflator hose does allow sufficient volume flow for the SS1. Your description and pics confuse me.

Sorry if it's unclear. Yes I have an LP hose to put it on. The reason I'm cautious is because the Atomic 'adapter' isn't marketed or sold as an adapter. Atomic sells the 'Inflator hose for the SS1' as a single unit, but I discovered that it appears to be a standard LP hose + their own special adapter. Reason I'm asking is I'm not sure if there is anything special about the Atomic LP hose that would make the 'adapter' incompatible with other standard LP hoses/

Sorry if it's unclear. Yes I have an LP hose to put it on. The reason I'm cautious is because the Atomic 'adapter' isn't marketed or sold as an adapter. Atomic sells the 'Inflator hose for the SS1' as a single unit, but I discovered that it appears to be a standard LP hose + their own special adapter. Reason I'm asking is I'm not sure if there is anything special about the Atomic LP hose that would make the 'adapter' incompatible with other standard LP hoses/
If it fits the hose, which is 99.9% likely, you are good to go. Best to run a leak test on the whole thing before you jump in the ocean with it.

The standard Atomic “SS1 Hose” consists of a standard LP hose and a threaded adapter quick disconnect. You are able to remove the quick disconnect and put it on a low pressure hose of any length.

There are two questions here.
Yes, a bcd hose fits.
No, you shouldn't use a standard bcd (Schrader valve) hose.
Why not? Because a Schrader valve will not allow sufficient gas flow for regulator function at depth.
Same reason that Scubapro has a different fitting for its Air2.
But an Atomic adapter fitted to a standard hose for more optimal length is a good solution.

Ah! I didn't read carefully enough. I see @tursiops already beat me to it.

But the question I have is where you got that adapter? You mentioned DGX, but all I see on their website is the Scubapro version and the Oceanic version. Now the Scubapro connector has always fit Atomic, but that photo looks just like an Atomic end. If you disassembled one of your own Atomic hoses, where did you get that Atomic hose?
My Atomic hoses are one piece:
IMG_20201106_094038.jpg

Your discovery is great news for us! The excess length of the Atomic SS1 hose has been a consistent problem. If they're now using an adapter that can be used anywhere, your switching to a shorter reg hose is perfectly fine, and a great solution.

But the question I have is where you got that adapter? You mentioned DGX, but all I see on their website is the Scubapro version and the Oceanic version. Now the Scubapro connector has always fit Atomic, but that photo looks just like an Atomic end. If you disassembled one of your own Atomic hoses, where did you get that Atomic hose?
My Atomic hoses are one piece:
View attachment 622589

Your discovery is great news for us! The excess length of the Atomic SS1 hose has been a consistent problem. If they're now using an adapter that can be used anywhere, your switching to a shorter reg hose is perfectly fine, and a great solution.

I have two adapters now. The one in the pictures is the one I took off my Atomic hose. You can see it in 'Pic 2' in my original post: that's the stock Atomic hose that came with my BCD (Zeagle Brigade, from ScubaToys). It definitely looks different to the one you have a picture of -- the movable part of the connector looks the same, but there's threads that attach the connector onto the Atomic hose swivel. Perhaps a different generation? I bought mine in 2018.

I also have the DGX Scubapro adapter, which I didn't attach any photos of. It works just fine, it's just larger and longer than the Atomic one.

I'll ask at my LDS whether there's a separately available Atomic connector.

Edit:
Yes they've converted to regular hoses and adapters. The QD adapter only is part number 14-0050-3P.

Here it is:
626921159(1).jpg

Looks like the last two digits are 3P, not 5P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom