Can I use sealife flash with A610?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaindian

Registered
Reaction score
I have the sealife RC camera with flash. Here is the link
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/reefmaster_pro_set.html

I am planning to buy the Canon A610 digital camera along with the underwater housing. Do you know if I can use the sealife flash with this digital camera setup. The flash is a photo sensored flash. It triggers when the camera flash goes off. I am thinking it will work the same. Also, wondering if sealifle arm with the flash can be used along with the A610's underwater housing?

Thanks a bunch, fellow divers. I am going to Grand cayman for 13 days in december. Can't wait to go.

Unfortunately, you cannot use that flash for your digital camera. SeaLife does make a universal digital flash appropriate for your Cannon camera. It is the SL960D Universal Digital Flash. It will work with all digital cameras with up to 5 pre-flashes. You can follow this link on our website to take a look at this flash. Thanks.

SeaLife SL960D Universal Digital Flash

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

Don't write it off too quickly.
Can you stop the preflash on the camera? I looked at the specs of the camera and you have full manual mode. Most/many cameras that can be manually controlled put the flash into "normal" -no preflash- mode. Try setting the camera to manual, flash on and see what happens. I know for sure my Oly does and I would bet the Canon will as well. If that works and I would bet it will, the good news is that eventually you will want to shoot in manual anyway. Cost nothing to try.

Thanks, I will try that. I haven't ordered the A610 yet. I am waiting for some good black friday deals. Will let u know how it works out. Thanks.

If the flash mode of the A610 is similar to that of the A510, then, as Herman suggests, you should be able to slave off of the onboard flash. According to imaging-resource.com, the flash output of the Canon A510 works as described below(they haven't reviewed the newer A610 model yet):

Flash Output: (Manual mode only, takes the place of the Exposure Compensation option): Adjusts the overall flash intensity in three steps from Low to Full. In Manual mode, the flash fires only a single pulse, handy when you want to use the A510 with conventional "slave" triggers for external flash units.

By selecting the lowest power setting to send the slave signal to your external strobe, you would increase battery life and reduce heat buildup inside the housing, possibly minimizing the potential for fogging.

Getting the strobe to fire may be easy compared to controlling its output though (Sealife also offers an optional fiber optic cable to insure the "slave" strobe receives its commands from the onboard "master").

The link you provided made no mention of user defined output levels such as 1/2, 1/4/, or 1/8th power for instance. There is no mention of any dial to minimize the strobe from emitting anything other than a full dump. I am not familiar with the Sealife strobe, but since you already own the strobe in question perhaps you could supply us with confirmation?

If true, the only way to control the strobe's output would be to choose the correct aperture in conjunction with the strobe to subject distance (the guide number formula addresses this). A diffuser(s) would also be an option to minimize output. But for very close macro work, I'm afraid that you may still blow out your foreground exposure.

otoh, the other strobe in question, the SL960D, mentions a variable power adjustment dial in its specs.........

hth,
b

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom