Can I use my portable electric compressor in a basement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mphelps

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently bought a Coltri MCH-6 compressor. Since the only 220 outlet I have in my house is in the laundry room in the basement, is it ok to fill tanks there or do I need to put the compressor outside and run the power cord thru the window? Reason I ask is just for Radon and humidity concerns.

humidity should be taken out in the filters, but if you are concerned about radon and anything else down there, you should be able to get creative and run the intake out through one of the basement windows.

The compressor will give off a fair amount of heat, and you'll have to carry your cylinders up and down the steps. Other than that, you're fine.

I would run a 6" PVC pipe from the compressor intake pipe to the outside high above the ground with a funnel facing down at the top part and make sure that it is covered with a net to prevent insects from getting in the pipe. You will also need a heavy duty fan for the basement to circulate the air to the outside from inside the basement when operating the compressor.

BTW, is the compressor rated for 60 or 50 Hz electricity?

From what I can tell looking at the manual it is rated for both 50 and 60 Hz. Runs at a higher RPM with 60.
I didn't think it would be a problem filling it in the basement but just wanted to ask the question. Figured I could just open the window to get fresh air into the basement while the compressor runs.

Just make sure that the intake pipe is LARGE if you run it to the outside (and you should run it to the outside)!!!

Why do you think he needs a large intake pipe?

If you are going to run a pipe to the outside, it needs to be of a large diameter to reduce the drag for air coming in to the compressor traveling the length of the pipe. You will need a "transition/adapter" at the compressor so that you are able to connect this pipe to the intake pipe of the compressor.

If you run a small diameter pipe to the outside, you will stress the compressor just like you trying to breath through a long straw.

I think 6 inch diameter is good but make sure that the end of the pipe on the outside has a turn pointing down with a funnel form covered with some sort of a screen to prevent insects from flying into the pipe to the compressor. This screen needs to be cleaned once in a while from dust, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom