Can I use above water diopter lens underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I have some diopter lens that I use to use with my old SLR lenses and was wondering if I can use them underwater as a wet lens? Rust? adhesives coming off? Lens coating not robust enough for salt water?

It is 52mm, so I would just get a 52-67mm adapter and screw it in front of a my housing's lens port. Don't think it would cause vignetting since the wet wide angle lenses has a smaller lens at the rear than the diopter.

Ignoring lens damage, you can but it's pretty much a waste of effort. Due to the physics of the lens/water interface the effect is a lot less, by a factor of 4 if I remember correctly. A 4 diopter surface lens is effectively reduced to a 1 diopter UW lens, you would not want to bother with anything less than an 8 or more. Unless you have some really high diopter lenses it's not worth trying and multielement lens are not likely sealed well enough to stand being submerged....you will be better off to sell them and take the money to buy a real UW lens.

On my aquatica housing i use a +4 diopter with the six inch port. My buddy uses a +3 diopter for his 8 inch port. For 1:1 macro we add another +4 diopter inside the housing on the lens. Works very good for macro. We can zoom using our 16-85mm nikon lens from 1:1 macro to close focus shots.

As mentioned above, putting the diopter on the lens inside the housing will give you lots more increase in magnification than on the outside and depending on the contstruction of your diopter you might lose a factor of 4 or so. Putting a plus 3 diopter on an underwater lens that is 1:1 might actually give you no magnification at all.

Bill

shammed. Can't put it inside since this is a P&S. Maybe I can try a stronger above water diopter to offset the water. Oddly, the diopter was for my SLR when using my dome port.

Interesting test of the land wide angle wet lens. They are like 1/10 the price of the UW ones. Although other posts in that thread says they flood. But I got my Inon wide angle wet lens, I will make do with that.

Back
Top Bottom