Can I mix Poseidon and Mares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi guys,
so I am starting to seriously dive in cold waters.
So far I have used this setup: Mares MR22 Abyss Regulator (old Style).

I went to ebay with the intention to check the market for a good second regulator set to be all set up. In the end I bought a complete Poseidon XStream set with 2 second stages. (Poseidon Xstream Regulator)
Now I don't particularly like my Mares second stage.
Is it possible to connect my "secondary" Poseidon XStream to my Mares MR22 and be done with it?
If so, why? If not, also why?

In Germany (where I'm from) trying to mix brands appears to be reserved for suicidal people, idiots and lunatics. But I have yet to hear an actual argument for this stance. Because as far as I am concerned pressure is pressure, right? Riiiiight?
I have tried reading up on this, but to me it appears like a pretty big mess.

Thanks guys!

Hi guys,
so I am starting to seriously dive in cold waters.
So far I have used this setup: Mares MR22 Abyss Regulator (old Style).

I went to ebay with the intention to check the market for a good second regulator set to be all set up. In the end I bought a complete Poseidon XStream set with 2 second stages. (Poseidon Xstream Regulator)
Now I don't particularly like my Mares second stage.
Is it possible to connect my "secondary" Poseidon XStream to my Mares MR22 and be done with it?
If so, why? If not, also why?

In Germany (where I'm from) trying to mix brands appears to be reserved for suicidal people, idiots and lunatics. But I have yet to hear an actual argument for this stance. Because as far as I am concerned pressure is pressure, right? Riiiiight?
I have tried reading up on this, but to me it appears like a pretty big mess.

Thanks guys!

Yes you can mix and match brands without issue. Some people prefer to have all matching sets and there is nothing wrong with that. Here’s my deep 6 1st and 2nd with an xs scuba octo and cressi spg. It’s a blend of brands but runs well.

Attachments

• 9D327D04-DAAE-4E33-8FA8-A7896BD31815.jpeg
    9D327D04-DAAE-4E33-8FA8-A7896BD31815.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 191
There is one seriouse problem - Poseidone **Stream - is upstream second stages, and in case of problems with 1st stage (like broken seat or worn-out sealings) - you can have IP increase, and without overpressure valve this IntemediatePressure can reach values, when LowPressure hose can explode....

You have two choices:
- use OPRV (Over-Pressure Relief Valve)
- or use just one XStream 2n stage, and another - standard octopus, with downstream valve.

Using two XStream 2nd stages with Mares MR22 1st stage without OPRV is very dangerous.

Please, add Over-Pressure Relief Valve (User Adjustable) or similar to your regulator.
upload_2019-4-22_12-2-18.png

In case of using Dry Suit (when you require two inflator hoses, and total Four LP ports) - you can use simple adaptor like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JK-016Y-00095
upload_2019-4-22_12-2-54.png

Well, give me a shout if you want to sell the Xstream first stage!

Using either a Xstream or Jetstream second stage, you need to make sure you have some type of overpressure relief valve in place. For this you have a couple options.

The older style Poseidon hoses have the OPV built in to the hose end. You can also get a normal hose adapter from omniswivel with an integral OPV.

Or.. install an OPV into one of the LP ports.

Or.. keep a conventionally designed, downstream second stage on the same first stage, making sure the resistance is set so that it will free flow at a predictable level and will act as your OPV. **if going this route, I would really make sure you have one with an adjustable knob to control breathing resistance. The Xstream second stage like an IP around 123# which is lower than most second stages so you want to adjust the IP on the first stage to match, then adjust the other second stage so that you have it where you want it.

*If this does not make sense to you, please find a reg tech who knows how to work on Poseidon regs.

Do yourself a favour and buy the MR52 1st stage and pair it with your MR22 / Abyss 2nd stage. This is what I've done with my tech diving and I use this setup on my twins. If it is seriously cold water, buy one that have the cold water kit installed. Saying that, there isn't really much difference in performance between the old triangle shaped MR22 2nd as you have to the MR52, I did it purely because I wanted a more cylindrical 2nd stage to fit on the twins.
On recreational dives I use a Poseidon setup consisting of a Triton 1st stage and Xstream 2nd stages, works the charm but it is fine tuned by Poseidon dealer / distributor.
Thing with Poseidon is that it works on different IP's thus you will have difficulty with setting it up with a Mares Abyss. Buy a MR52 1st stage and you will have no issues.

Let me give you the pro's and cons from my perspective, Mares 2nd you have a much more comfortable long dive due to the vortex system that keeps some kind of moisture, on the Poseidon you start wishing for an underwater drinking water fountain when you get to around an hour underwater.
Poseidon side exhaust some claim to be an advantage, to me it is indifferent. Poseidon XStream give you a little less jaw fatigue on long dives, whether due to weight or design dont know.

In all I wouldn't trade either, but don't mix them.

My buddy used a Jetsteam 2nd with an Atomic 1st for a short while. Tuned by a reg tech who supposedly knew both brands. Since the Poseidon's run a different IP - it almost always free-flowed when he first hit the water. ymmv

Using two XStream 2nd stages with Mares MR22 1st stage without OPRV is very dangerous.

Please, add Over-Pressure Relief Valve (User Adjustable) or similar to your regulator.
View attachment 515919

In case of using Dry Suit (when you require two inflator hoses, and total Four LP ports) - you can use simple adaptor like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JK-016Y-00095
View attachment 515920

Well, give me a shout if you want to sell the Xstream first stage!

The older style Poseidon hoses have the OPV built in to the hose end. You can also get a normal hose adapter from omniswivel with an integral OPV.

Or.. install an OPV into one of the LP ports.

Or.. keep a conventionally designed, downstream second stage on the same first stage, making sure the resistance is set so that it will free flow at a predictable level and will act as your OPV. **if going this route, I would really make sure you have one with an adjustable knob to control breathing resistance. The Xstream second stage like an IP around 123# which is lower than most second stages so you want to adjust the IP on the first stage to match, then adjust the other second stage so that you have it where you want it. .

Okay. Thanks for the replies (this applies to ALL of you guys!)
So I feel like I didn't make myself clear.

What I would like to do are 2 sets:
Set 1: xstream first stage. With: xstream second stage as primary on long hose +SPG
Set 2: mr22 first stage. With: xstream second stage as secondary with neck holder + drysuit inflator + OPRV (this is what I definitely have learned)
When I go dry I would use sets 1 and 2.

When I go wet because it's warm enough I would probably just add the set 2 xstream second stage to set 1.

Is this an eligible approach?

In Germany (where I'm from) trying to mix brands appears to be reserved for suicidal people, idiots and lunatics.

Well now I know where I stand.

But I have yet to hear an actual argument for this stance.

Mostly an issue if the technician only works on one of the brands, then to another tech for the other second. I service my own so no big deal.

There is one seriouse problem - Poseidone **Stream - is upstream second stages, and in case of problems with 1st stage (like broken seat or worn-out sealings) - you can have IP increase, and without overpressure valve this IntemediatePressure can reach values, when LowPressure hose can explode....

If you use an alternate that is a downstream reg, the alternate will act as an over pressure relief. I dive a Cyklon that I have set up with a SP 109 as my alternate and relief.

Back in the day I was diving an early Snark (?) single hose with an upstream second (tilt valve), alternates were not used at the time. The breathing got harder, 'till it stopped, and on my to the surface the hose blew. An exciting time was had by all. Got a few welts trying to shut it down, it pretty much emptied before I closed the valve. I was much more carefull decades later when I picked up the Cyklon.

Bob

@diversteve that would be part of "supposedly" knew both brands. Poseidon's are prone to freeflow if you aren't careful with them and go in with the diaphragm down, but no worse than any other regulator if you aren't careful. Putting it on a reg with higher IP would make it less prone to freeflow, but make the freeflow a bit more violent.

@parmesannongrata are you talking about having a pair of single tank regulators i.e. one first and two seconds?
Of note, once you have the Poseidon's tuned for one first stage or the other, you aren't going to want to swap them. Other option is to tune the Mares down to 123psi and then they should all swap back and forth easily.

@parmesannongrata are you talking about having a pair of single tank regulators i.e. one first and two seconds?
Of note, once you have the Poseidon's tuned for one first stage or the other, you aren't going to want to swap them. Other option is to tune the Mares down to 123psi and then they should all swap back and forth easily.

No I don't think so. At least the way I understood it.

Just 2 first stages, 2 second stages. 1 each. To be used with doubles or a single tank with 2 valves. You know, some sort of DIR approach in case the "main" first stage freezes.

So it appears the most practical approach would be to dive the Poseidon first stage with the poseidon second stages as a normal setup "all the time" and to have the mr22 with the abyss second stage for cold water and the second tank/valve. Correct? (Which would mean I would dive with 3 second stages)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom