Can I Get A Bimini Report!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reel Crazy14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to go to Bimini over Thanksgiving, but I have some concerns about how the island and dive sites fared from the hurricanes. I know they didnt take a direct hit. A report would be great before I go, info on vis would nice too. Thanks

Reel Crazy14:
I would like to go to Bimini over Thanksgiving, but I have some concerns about how the island and dive sites fared from the hurricanes. I know they didnt take a direct hit. A report would be great before I go, info on vis would nice too. Thanks

We just returned from a trip to the Bimini area aboard a Blackbeard's Cruise. The island of Bimini did not appear to have been too adversely affected by the hurricanes. Many places still have plywood over the windows (but truthfully they almost looked like permanent fixtures on many buildings and not hurricane preparation :wink: ) but we didn't notice any hurricane damage during our walk around the island for our short stay on the island itself.

We dove several sites around Bimini and not having ever been there before I cannot say if the reefs/dive sites are in worse condition than before hurricanes, but most of the dives we did the sites were filled with sea life, the reefs appeared to be in good condition and the visability was well over 50ft or more on average. There were a few sites with more limited visability and a bunch of particle matter in the water, however this was the exception and not the rule. Bear in mind that we dove these sites 2 weeks after hurricane Jeanne had bounced around this area most of the prior couple of weeks, so things were pretty stirred up and really just beginning to settle. I'd guess that by Nov. you will have excellent visability.

Hope this helps you.

Hey Cindy0519, did you enjoy your Blackbeard Cruise? I went in June on the Sea Explorer and overall wasn't very impressed. I will probably do another live aboard down the road but not with Blackbeard's. I would like to hear what you thought.
Thanks.

welllll..........Did you finally do the shark dive???

cindy0519:
We just returned from a trip to the Bimini area aboard a Blackbeard's Cruise. The island of Bimini did not appear to have been too adversely affected by the hurricanes. Many places still have plywood over the windows (but truthfully they almost looked like permanent fixtures on many buildings and not hurricane preparation :wink: ) but we didn't notice any hurricane damage during our walk around the island for our short stay on the island itself.

We dove several sites around Bimini and not having ever been there before I cannot say if the reefs/dive sites are in worse condition than before hurricanes, but most of the dives we did the sites were filled with sea life, the reefs appeared to be in good condition and the visability was well over 50ft or more on average. There were a few sites with more limited visability and a bunch of particle matter in the water, however this was the exception and not the rule. Bear in mind that we dove these sites 2 weeks after hurricane Jeanne had bounced around this area most of the prior couple of weeks, so things were pretty stirred up and really just beginning to settle. I'd guess that by Nov. you will have excellent visability.

Hope this helps you.

Taupiz:
Hey Cindy0519, did you enjoy your Blackbeard Cruise? I went in June on the Sea Explorer and overall wasn't very impressed. I will probably do another live aboard down the road but not with Blackbeard's. I would like to hear what you thought.
Thanks.

kersny:
welllll..........Did you finally do the shark dive???

So as not to overtake this thread I will post a trip review from on Blackbeard's trip later today. Just finished editing pictures and haven't had time to put a "review" together but I will do so and get it posted....look for it soon!

Just got back in from a Blackbeard's cruise on Sea Explorer and we had a great time! There was not major damage from the hurricanes and the reefs are in good shape. Vis was 70+ feet most places. Water temp was 81-82 on every dive. Marine life was thick and large, ate lots of lobster on Wed. night, but we only saw one turtle and very few rays. I had a blast and recommend Sea Explorer if you don't mind living on a small boat for a week (I didn't, we had fun!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom