Can I dive this wreck on the English Channel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at the location, I would say its probably better dived from the Belgium side. It is also looks like an inshore wreck, which again makes diving it from the Belgium side probably better.

There are charter boats at Dover, but it looks like it would be outside of their normal range.
To be honest, a dive that shallow, that far away, I wouldn't sign up for unless I had very good reports.
Its shallow enough to be badly smashed up unless it's well sheltered.

You are probably better with some advice from Belgium members on this forum.

Addendum
The Belgium note on the Wrecksite, does say the wreckage is spread over a large area, that was in 2007.
So as I suspect, probably very flat, very broken, and difficult to identify specifics.

Looking at the location, I would say its probably better dived from the Belgium side. It is also looks like an inshore wreck, which again makes diving it from the Belgium side probably better.

There are charter boats at Dover, but it looks like it would be outside of their normal range.
To be honest, a dive that shallow, that far away, I wouldn't sign up for unless I had very good reports.
Its shallow enough to be badly smashed up unless it's well sheltered.

You are probably better with some advice from Belgium members on this forum.

Addendum
The Belgium note on the Wrecksite, does say the wreckage is spread over a large area, that was in 2007.
So as I suspect, probably very flat, very broken, and difficult to identify specifics.
Thanks, I cross posted on the Western Europe page after coming to the same conclusion as you.

It probably is smashed and its also a boring wreck no doubt. However, my Grandfather was on that ship when it struck the mine and sank. He told me the story a few times and I think it would be amazing to see. I doubt there is much identifiable but in my wildest dreams it would be incredible to find the anti-aircraft gun he was manning when the ship hit the mine.

I thought there was some historical family connection in your interest.

There are some great dives that where American vessels lost during the war(s), both off the UK and French coast.

2019 is going to be a significant anniversary year, so most of the charters and spaces have already been booked.
As an example see here

If you are looking to dive the Normandy beaches, you will probably do better to wait a year.

We have quite a few wreck dives off the UK coast from the wars, as an example, this is a link to the forgotten wrecks of the first world war, along the South Coast.

Some are flattened across a wide area, others are very complete. Underwater visibility can be fantastic or appalling, you pays your money and takes your chances.
I would suggest if you do choose to dive in the UK you consider a drysuit, our waters can be a little temperate, and the surface temperatures vary wildly, even during the summer.

Oh, it will be dry diving for sure! Normandy would be pretty cool. But this I think would be specifically for the Nashaba then let my wife enjoy Belgium. We are dying to get to Scotland as well as England too though. I really want to do them by motorcycle but I am sure we will end up driving...oh well, you cant have everything.

Be aware, that most UK cars are manual gearbox. If you are intending to rent a car, make sure you specify that you want an automatic gearbox (if that's what you want). It is also generally more expensive to hire an automatic than a manual.
Remember, not only do you have the potential complication of a manual gearbox, you will be on the correct side of the car (the right) and the correct side of the road (the left):), unlike when you are in the USA. The local roads are also narrower than most US roads, and winding (i.e. not straight)
I am not sure how easy renting a motorcycle would be, although I imagine its possible. But I would suggest that you would be wise to have full waterproof kit as well, even in August there may be a little rain!

There is good diving in Scotland, both wreck and scenic :wink:.

No worries. I have been to Ireland multiple times and I am going again this September. Driving isn't an issue even when everything is "correct". As well my part of America is narrow and winding though I will admit Ireland has even us beat for narrow.

I ride a bike year round but she is a fair weather rider so I doubt I will be renting any bikes sadly.

What we have talked about some is renting a narrow boat and cruising around England that way as well...but Scotland first.

Diving in Scotland is great.

Motorcycling in Scotland is fantastic

if you wish to rent Rent a motorcycle - rentamotorcycle.co.uk

Scottish roads have bends in them by the way

@kayakguy , I sent you a PM about two spots on a Scapa liveaboard that I regrettably have to relinquish due to an unforeseen circumstance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom