Can I dive the Empress of Ireland ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know what I need in specialties and experience to sign up for a dive trip on the Empress of Ireland in the Saint Laurence River? I only want to see it, take a few pictures and if possible touch it.

A bit of Google and...

She's sitting 140 feet down in cold dark water with some of the strongest currents you're ever likely to dive. From what I read, she's considered one of the most difficult wreck dives, and only for the most highly trained and experienced wreck divers. With less than 100 dives, you probably do not yet fit that profile. If you really want to dive her, I'd guess you need to first pursue technical and wreck penetration training in less severe conditions and then get a bunch more experience.

The more training the better (obviously), she's not difficult on account of depth, but rather conditions. The cold and ripping current will give you some fits. You'd do well to find divers in the area who do the deeper tech dives and work up to it. Find someone you trust and make a plan, there's no reason you can't build up to a dive like the Empress, just make sure that whomever you're taking your cues from is comfortable telling you that you're not read - that way you'll have some confidence when the answer changes and they take you along. That's the same general approach I take to any "goal" dive, honestly.

I found this information regarding my questions.

Just thought I would share.

http://www.shmp.qc.ca/empress/guide/index.php?lang=en

Thanks for the link, I was wondering if I would ever have a chance now it looks like 2013 and after a Tec 40 course

There is a shop out of Ontario (St. Cath's) that uses that site for its technical training class... Dan's Dive Ship - give Dan (or likely his son Matt) a call. I'm sure they will talk some shop with you....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom