Can HP hose be used as LP hose with appropriate adapters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThePimp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Did anyone try to use HP hose as LP hose with an adapter for port?

I need some shorter regulator hoses and can't find them, but can find HP hoses...however with 3/8 to 9/16 adapter I can make it work.

But, is there any reason not to?

Thnx!

Piranha can get you custom sized hoses. Drop them an email. Randy is great to work with. He told me that was possible a few months back. I didn’t end up needing them, but it’s great the resource is there.

Piranha has them from 4", although I can't imagine what anybody would do with one.

Hi,

Did anyone try to use HP hose as LP hose with an adapter for port?

I need some shorter regulator hoses and can't find them, but can find HP hoses...however with 3/8 to 9/16 adapter I can make it work.

But, is there any reason not to?

Thnx!
The wall of the HP hose is really thick and the internal diameter really small, so the resistance to airflow is very high. No flow, no breathing.

Piranha has them from 4", although I can't imagine what anybody would do with one.
CCR MAV off a BMCL T-Piece, very small people in razor style SM off of the fifth port of a MK25

I need some shorter regulator hoses
How short?

Some HP hoses have a restricted orifice at the first-stage end; they definitely cannot be used for breathing. No air flow is needed to measure pressure.

I think pretty much any supplier can get you hoses of whatever length you need.

Looking at the ends of the HP hoses I have (just my sample) the fitting is a tiny hole. The idea is if you blow a HP hose you have a leak but a managable leak. The pressure gauge doesn't need high flow, just enough of a hole so it can feel the pressure.

Looks like that is what everyone else is saying as well.

The idea is if you blow a HP hose you have a leak but a managable leak.
When you blow a standard HP hose, the leak is indeed manageable, but it can be quite an event. I had one from a doubles rig blow near my left ear. It sounded like someone had shot me. Some HP hoses have a series of perforations so that they blow in those spots. I had one of them blow while I was practicing in a pool, and I didn't even know it until someone noticed that the hose was bubbling.

Back
Top Bottom