can hardly reach the valve.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello:

Signed up for my DIR-F course and I'm finding that while setting up my rig I can barely reach my tank valve behind me (never mind turn the dumb thing). I've turned the tank and configured the plate as close as I can (I can touch the plate). Is this task easier in the water??? Any advice before my class? Thank you.

I wouldn't be worried about it if you're doing it out of the water, it will be easier in the water, your Fundys instructor should be able to get you squared away, oh and make sure you're keeping your elbow tucked in, not out when you're reaching.

Ben

Ben's right. In addition, make sure that the tank is high enough. Reach for the valve by placing your hand in front of your face and reaching back over your head. Your elbow and arm should pass in the same plane as your hand. They should not be out to the side.

Great tips, thanks guys.

Northeastwrecks:
Ben's right. In addition, make sure that the tank is high enough. Reach for the valve by placing your hand in front of your face and reaching back over your head. Your elbow and arm should pass in the same plane as your hand. They should not be out to the side.

Along with the other good suggestions:
Be sure that you are not leaning forward when attempting to reach your valve(s)... arch your back. Also pushing on your elbow with you other hand is some to try as well.

Its easy in the water, especially if you are horizontal like you should be.

Make sure that when you take your hand straight back to the tank valve that you close the gap between forearm and bicep instead of making and arch or a circle type loop; and keep the motion tucked in and smooth. That helps me.

Also, if you put your gear on and lay on your stomach on the bed and practice the motion you can get a feel for the position and in order to make sure your tank is in the right place. Then as mentioned by others, it will be easier in the water. R

Even if you can't reach the valves in the water, you'll learn little tricks like simply pushing up on the bottom of the tank with your left hand while reaching with your right, or loosening your belt slightly to give yourself a couple more inches of reach.

CRDiver:
Even if you can't reach the valves in the water, you'll learn little tricks like simply pushing up on the bottom of the tank with your left hand while reaching with your right, or loosening your belt slightly to give yourself a couple more inches of reach.

Chris,

With all due respect, those two suggestions are something we specifically avoid recommending. Generally speaking, those two suggestions are band-aids that don't address the problem(s).

More often then not, assuming a diver can touch his second vertebrate while in street clothes, then the issue isn't one of the ability to reach the valves, it's an issue of technique. Loosening harnesses and/or lifting up the bottoms of the tank presumes that a diver will have two hands free at the time it's needed. We teach and practice that to do this while maintaining prone position, nuetral bouyancy and maintaining good trim and provide for the possibility that a diver may only have one hand available..

Once you conclude that a diver can reach his valves [ ie; he can reach the 2nd vertebrate] before he gets in the water, then if he is having difficulty while in the water you use a process of elimination to determine the cause.

You start with drysuit undergarment, and determine if that is too restrictive. If the diver still can reach the valves then you go to the drysuit to see if that is causing a restriction. If the diver can still reach the valves with drysuit and undergarment then you look to the fitting of the harness.. More often then not any combination of the three are the cause of the restriction. Therefore, it's better to address the root cause of the problem rather then apply ad hoc solutions like loosening harnesses or lifting up the rear end of the tank(s). Also, as Ben mentioned many divers don't go straight back with their arms, and lastly what I notice often is that many divers tend to chase their valves by going vertical. The law of gravity will actually make your tanks harder to reach when a diver goes vertical, but I see it all the time..

I'm not trying to flame you, but since this is a DIR forum I want to make sure the original poster understands our approach..

Regards

Michael Kane

MHK:
Chris,

With all due respect, those two suggestions are something we specifically avoid recommending. Generally speaking, those two suggestions are band-aids that don't address the problem(s).

More often then not, assuming a diver can touch his second vertebrate while in street clothes, then the issue isn't one of the ability to reach the valves, it's an issue of technique. Loosening harnesses and/or lifting up the bottoms of the tank presumes that a diver will have two hands free at the time it's needed. We teach and practice that to do this while maintaining prone position, nuetral bouyancy and maintaining good trim and provide for the possibility that a diver may only have one hand available..

Once you conclude that a diver can reach his valves [ ie; he can reach the 2nd vertebrate] before he gets in the water, then if he is having difficulty while in the water you use a process of elimination to determine the cause.

You start with drysuit undergarment, and determine if that is too restrictive. If the diver still can reach the valves then you go to the drysuit to see if that is causing a restriction. If the diver can still reach the valves with drysuit and undergarment then you look to the fitting of the harness.. More often then not any combination of the three are the cause of the restriction. Therefore, it's better to address the root cause of the problem rather then apply ad hoc solutions like loosening harnesses or lifting up the rear end of the tank(s). Also, as Ben mentioned many divers don't go straight back with their arms, and lastly what I notice often is that many divers tend to chase their valves by going vertical. The law of gravity will actually make your tanks harder to reach when a diver goes vertical, but I see it all the time..

I'm not trying to flame you, but since this is a DIR forum I want to make sure the original poster understands our approach..

Regards

Michael Kane

Mike,

Where, exactly, is my second vertebrae?

G_M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom