can a H.P. pressure gauge hose stand up to constant long term pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI OWI #8564

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on attaching a pressure gauge to an older tank valve with a H.P. port and wanted to know if a newer standard H.P. hose is rated for constant pressure? This was a common setup back in the day which allowed us Double Hose divers to monitor tank pressure since our regulators didn't have H.P. ports. And that gauge could be under high pressure for weeks at a time.......

I believe the answer is yes. The hose is not rated for an intermittent pressure rating.

I believe the answer is yes. The hose is not rated for an intermittent pressure rating.

That does make sense and that's the way the hoses were rated when it was a common practice to do this, we of course were using lower tank pressures but then again the hoses back then were rated to a lower pressure too...............

I'm not an engineer but someone with a degree in material science (or related fields) can give a more coherent and logical explanation than mine.
I'm interested in the answer.

the working pressure is for continuous use, most have ratings for 300 bar to 350 bar nowadays and burst pressure exceeding 1200 bar

similar to service pressure/hydro pressure for the tank

And that gauge could be under high pressure for weeks at a time.......

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but I would not expect a (flexible) hose to stay pressurized for weeks. If the gas doesn't leak out from around the orings, it eventually just permeates through the nylon core of the hose. Trimix/helium is worse than air in this regard. Similar to the way balloons gradually lose their contents.

It will be fine, They will hold pressure indefinitely. I have gauges and hoses that have been pressurized for close to a decade.

not when used with a vintage valve where the hp port is on the valve.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

full.jpg

Do you see my flaccid hose mate, or do you see the gauge

does this remind you of something, an unpressurised hose

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom