Camping/Diving/Springs...need suggestions please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaliber35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I have decided to take the girls (2 and 8) for a little camping trip to one of the north Florida springs. I thought, as long as we are there, I would like to scuba. The place she was looking (which looks beautiful), doesnt allow diving.

We have been to Gennie before. We are looking for something maybe further east such as the Ocala area.

I thought maybe you guys had some suggestions of some of the better camping sites. Ive had my experience with poor sites and want to stay away from them.

Cheers!

As said Manatee springs is beautiful, from what we seen as we did not camp but have dove several times, is a nice clean and neat state park.The spring at the head is not deep 15'-20'fsw I think,, but if your in early crystal clear waters and lots of blue gill, and if you look close on the bottom fresh water flounder abound.The kids cans swim as our youngest did as we traded diving to top side duties.
Troy Springs is another park to check out too as its a deeper dive about 55'-60'max but no camping could be a day trip,,Fanning is nice too.
I am sure you will love manatee as we will always stop at this park for a dive on our way down as last time we arrived as park opened dropped our cards off and filled out forms and were greeted to deer as we geared up walking by us! we have some nice state parks on inland lakes in Wisconsin but the beauty and cleanliness and friendliness of park staff sets Florida state parks on the top of the list!
have a fun trip
Brad

Do you have a dive buddy? If not, the state parks may not be the way to go. Manatee is frequented by divers, but most cave divers. And none of the state parks allow solo diving.

Devils Den was pretty cool. Got my son certified there. Not sure on the camping and swimming though. They have a website, devilsden.com

Usually, it is not a problem to " hook up " with a dive buddy at one of these sites. You may have to wait a bit, though. Manatee has 2 dive sites. The main spring, app.20' , & Catfish Hole, above it which is app. 55ft. Catfish may be covered in Duckweed, but don't let that keep you from diving it. There is a shower to rinse gear. Water is nice & clear under it. There is a little " suction" to the left of the stairs from the passageway down to the other spring. DO NOT enter it unless you have been trained in Cave/Cavern.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom