Campbell River B.C. Diving March 24-29th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AdamHorsman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello. I was planning on diving for 3 days with Abyssal dive charters in the Campbell River Area sometime between March 24-29. Anyone interested??

AdamAbyssal

Earl, the owner of Abyssal, is an excellent guy. Have a great trip!
And don't forget your bathing suit for the hot tub! :)

Years ago I went diving on Abyssal when it was built, owned, and operated by Mike Richmond. Knowledge of the tides/currents and the affect at certain dive sites is absolutely essential for operators and Mike always had these dialed in.

He has since sold it and started another:
*Click here* to see dynamike's new operation

I'm heading up to Campbell River and Abyssal in June ... anyone care to post any details about what to expect in terms of dive sites, etc. ???

I'll certainly post a trip report when I return ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is the one of the best dives in the area. Earl from Abyssal takes great pride in showing divers the very best spots. The choice of dive sites is dependent on tides, currents, and weather. When I was there in March, we had really nasty weather, with lots of wind and rain. But even in these poor conditions, we were able to get to the best spots as they are relatively close to the lodge. You'll probably be very happy with whatever he suggests, and he's easy-going and open to taking you to a dive that meets your needs. An advanced certification or experience is a good idea.

When I was there last July, it was miuch nicer because the weather was beautiful, increasing the amount of ambient light underwater (and thus the color). Steep Island and Copper Cliff are also close by and offer lots of life on the wall. We were at 90 - 100 feet for all of our dives, and the current wasn't too strong in March, but summer is more challenging because tides are more extreme, resulting in stronger currents and shorter slack times. So be ready to go deep and handle some current.

If you want an easy, shallow dive just to "get your feet wet", then you can start out in the cove which is only about 40-50 feet deep. Lots of sea stars, and some people saw small octos.

If you like wrecks, the destoyer, Columbia, is close at hand. It's a relatively new wreck (only a few years ago), so there's not much life on it, yet. There are swimming scallops, and brittle stars. There used to be octos underneath, but they were gone in March. Our group didn't bother to dive that site in March. I had dove it twice last July, and that was enough for me, but I'm not a huge wreck fan. But it's worth seeing once at least. Again, deep and current can spring up quite suddenly during your dive. Be sure to pull yourself along the ship's railings if you have to go against current to get to an ascent line. Inform yourself about drift diving.

At Row and Be Damned, every speck of rock is covered with layers of life. When the current pushes you into the wall, and you have to put out a finger to push yourself back, you try and pick a "bare" spot, but it feels mushy! You can't even feel rock because the growth is so thick. Here is a minimal list: sponges of all kinds and colors, too many different anemones to list, shelfish, Puget Sound King crabs (huge!), all sorts of other crabs, perch, greenlings, cod, feather dusters (huge), other tube worms, urchins, nudibranchs. You might see a seal, small shark, or octopus.

Anyhow, have a great trip! Just talking about it makes me want to go back again!

Back
Top Bottom