http://www.diveheart.org/

Campaign for Clear Visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Dear Fellow SBers:

As divers we know how much more fun it is to dive in clear visibility. We sometimes take the eyes that allow us to enjoy diving for granted.

I recently suffered a posterior vitreous detachment in my left eye which is a normal part of the aging process. Unfortunately, this left me with large cobweb-like floaters that distort my central vision. Patients are told that nothing can be done and to learn to live with floaters - no matter how bad. This is an archaic view that many of the best ophthalmologists no longer believe in. They believe that restoring a patient's happiness and quality of life can safely be done through a procedure called a pars plana vitrectomy for floaters also known as a floater-only vitrectomy (FOV) or "floaterectomy." The surgeon uses small gauge needle-like tools consisting of a cutting tool, a saline infusion tube, and a light probe to enter the eye and remove the vitreous gel leaving a clear chamber.

Over 225,000 vitrectomies are performed every year in the United States usually to treat retinal detachments, complications of diabetes, and macular problems. The risks are similar to cataract surgery with a 1% chance of infection and a 1-2% chance of retinal detachment. 50% of patients develop cataracts within 5 years after vitrectomy procedure. The problem for many patients is finding a surgeon willing to perform the procedure.

I found two top opthalmologists who can help me. One is in NYC and the other is in the Washington, D.C. area. My out of network deductible is $5000 + 30% so I'm trying to raise $5500 to afford the surgery. I recently left my position as the training director for a scuba agency and was in the middle of venturing into a new career after 26 years as a dive instructor when this happened. The timing was really bad because my medical credit card and other credit cards were maxed out after paying for cataract surgery several months ago and having a slow summer working at a new dive shop as a tech instructor.

I'd love to get this junk out of my eye and see clearly again. It's so important to me that I'm not ashamed to ask my fellow divers for help. I may be a tech and cave instructor, but right now I feel like a sad little kid. It would mean so much to me to have the support of the scuba community. I'm asking my fellow divers to help me have good vis again. If you could please donate to my cause $5, $10, $20 or more toward funding this procedure your generosity would be so appreciated. If you'd like to contribute please visit the following links:

Click here to support Help Trace Malinowski get eye surgery!

Or, Click here to support Trace's Campaign for Clear Vision by Trace Malinowski

Thank you!

Last edited:
Here is a video about eye floaters. What I'm seeing in my left eye with the detached vitreous is at the 3:30 mark. You can see why I'm trying to get surgery to remove them.

Last edited:
Best of luck to you!

Dr. Sebag was one of the first advocates for patients who suffer from bad or bothersome floaters. My reluctant doctor was willing to do surgery after OCT, ultrasound, and contrast sensitivity testing. The doctor I saw had a 50% retinal detachment rate which is why I'm trying to see 2 doctors with just a 1 - 2% lifetime retina detachment rate. Having had a natural PVD and previous cataract surgery will allow the surgeon to remove most, if not all, vitreous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom