Camera Vendor vs 3trd Party Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

konatoo

Registered
Reaction score
From what Im reading here, sounds like many of you are using the camera vendor housings (Oly, Sony, Canon, etc). How do they compare with the 3rd party housings (Ikelite, Gates, etc) in terms of quality and functionality. I'm leaning towards purchase of a Oly or Sony system, am I limiting myself for future enhancements (like strobes) by going with the vendor housing?

TP

Vendors housings are generally an entry level housing. Most are for consumer cameras. There are a few upgrade housings for a handful of still & digital camera. Except for the Sony 707/717 still cameras Gates is strictly video. Ikelite & others offer housings for several makes & models, but are more expensive. They also are more reliable in the long run. The vendor acrylic housings are considered throw-aways. They are not good for the long haul. An external strobe can be used with most any housing (it may be just a slave however). Third party housings do not necessarily have more controls or functionality. They are more rugged, go deeper & last longer. As with anything else you get what you pay for.

jcclink, well put.

konatoo, it boils down to money as well as the amount of times you will dive. The prosumer housings are great for the vacation or infrequent diver as they are not a major investment. If money is no object then the high end housings are not an issue.

I dive 3 to 5 times a week and use the Olympus housing. Money is an issue with me. There have been a few times I wanted to go deeper than the 98 feet my PT-010 is rated to but that's a trade-off. As far as camera controls go, I have them all on my Olympus and that is most important.

The sony house for my P10 is good for 40 meters and gives me access to all the functions of the camera. It may be just plastic but it seems reliable enough to me. There are more robust houses out there but as I don´t plan on going deeper then 40 meters or have any intention of abusing the housing I think its good enough for me.

IMO, It just depends on what kind of diver and what kinds of dives you´ll be doing with the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom