Camera Tax in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BAMA6977

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the regional forum section for Mexico there is a thread concerning a Camera tax for people coming into Mexico. It has become somewhat confusing with no definite advice/answer to the question: will we be required to pay customs tax or any tax on our camera equipment when we come to Mexico for live aboard trip??

It would be very helpful if one of the travel companies or live aboard companies could provide a valid official answer so the speculating can stop.

My read was that any fees charged were a result of customs officials on the spot using their wide interpretation of the "you can bring in X amount of dollars of any goods" regulations. I suggest the entities you requested input from would have an opinion/some experience, I don't know that it would be an ironclad assurance unless you could find a travel agency in Mexico that has specific experience with it.

I would be prepared to minimize the appearance of your gear wherever possible and have a minimal but passable value already in your head that you could reel off in an unrehearsed manner.

You can look at this: Customs and migration information

Reactions: Doc

Back
Top Bottom