Camera suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am running around the forums trying to find information on what camera I should get for underwater photos. I have found hundreds of reviews on single cameras but nothing that really tells me what would fit my needs.

I currently have a Sony Cybershot that takes incredible pictures on land. I have seen the casings for them but honestly would they take really good closeup pictures? I have one of the first and I don't remember there being a connection for an external flash.

I used to be in a camera club in my early years and know how to use a manual camera. However I have found that 90% of the photos I now take can be done with an easy to use auto camera.

I really want something that is not overly expensive that I can get a low price housing and external flash for. It has to be digital and have a decent battery life. When it comes to brand I have used Minolta, Canon, Sony, and Nikon. This camera will mainly be used for underwater photography and some land photos. However I use my cybershot for most of my land photos.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated on what to look for.

Welcome to the pond. First you need to find out if a housing is available for your Sony. What's the model number? There is an online database at digideep.com that should have current housing info.

Most people starting out will use the internal flash, or will use a fiberoptic to connect the flash to an external strobe.

Many cameras have a good macro mode. If you want more, see if the housing can take either a 67mm thread or if Inon makes an AD mount adapter. Either will allow an optional closeup or wide angle lens.

You'll find many Olympus users on the board. I have the C5050 and I'm happy with it. When I bought it online I got it for $400.00 and the case (PT-015) for about $160.00 The C5060W is another popular choice. I got the C5050 over the C5060 because it uses AA batteries and not a propriatary rechargeable like the C5060. I can upgrade batteries (to a higher ma rating) at any time or use alkaline in a pinch while traveling. Paired with a decent WAL (wide angle) and strobe (such as an Inon D2000) you can build a fantastic rig. Check out my gallery for examples shot with no WAL and internal flash only. If you do have interest in Olympus check out the forum too.

Example C5050 Internal flash
12786SpottedMorayEel.jpg

I just wanted to resate what Desert said. What model cybershot do you own? Many have UW housing and they work very well underwater. I have a DSC-P5 and have been using it for 3 years now underwater. You can go to my web page or galleries to see many examples.

I am getting due for a new camera. Right now I am lusting after a DSC-P150, maybe before my next trip this summer.

I just have the Sony Cybershot 4mp DSC-P9 which does have an underwater case, just not sure how good the images would be with it.

That camera will do a fine job (and be wicked small to boot). It will focus down to 4"s in macro and the internal flash will work out to 3-4' in clear water. Get the housing, probably find several on e-bay. It's a fairly small investment and even if you find you want more it will still be valuable experience.

Here's a link to a slideshow done with an older version of that camera.

Slideshow

Back
Top Bottom