Camera Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaresMan1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, I give in. I have been diving for a few years now, but never been into photography. Well my last trip to St. Vincent changed all that. My wife bought me a Sea Life Sport diver for the trip and I went nuts shooting everything that I saw. So now I am hooked. Taking the Photography course later this year at BTS and with my LDS.

OK, my question is, should I keep working with the Sportdiver and upgrade it, or invest in a more serious camera? I have found myself glancing at Nikons, Olympus, Canon and Minolta. Which was should I go to get the most bang for the buck? Don't want to give up my first born, but I am willing to invest within reason.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

Best advice I can give you is to start reading past threads in this forum. Someone asks this same questions once a week or so. When we answer the same question over and over, we soon tend to leave out details and that isn't fair to you.

I don't want to start the never ending debate between film and digital again as there is no one best answer for everyone. Do your research, read the past discussions on film vs digital. One you make the film/digital decision, start taking notes on all the camera brands. One good place to start for digital cameras is Steve's Digicams.

Personally, I switched from film to digital over 2 years ago and have never regretted it. I currently have an Olympus C-5050 in an Oly PT-015 housing.

MaresMan1:
I am willing to invest within reason.

If you can tell us what is "within reason" for you then we might be able to steer you in the direction of alternatives within that range.
TedJ

I'll toss in my two cents for digital over film. The film folks have their two cents also.

Some reasons to go digital versus film, especially as a new or amateur underwater photographer.

1. No film costs or processing fees.
2. No cost for numerous wasted rolls of film and processing while learning to photograph underwater.
3. See the results immediately underwater so as to take another photo if necessary.
4. Obtain prints commercially, or at home, at low cost.
5. Ability to take more than 36 photos (roll of film) on a single dive.
6. Ease of touching up photos to your liking with a computer software program.
7. Ease of putting the photos on the internet or e mail.
8. Good quality cameras and housings are low in price.
9. Spending money on low end/low quality cameras results in the same picture results and is money wasted.
10. Not having to find a processing lab that can properly develop underwater photos.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, it really helps. I did not know that this would be so complicated. I like the idea of digital over film. Gives you so many options. I also like the suggestions from Dee. The Olympus and the PT-015 look like the way to go. The Ms. is partial to Nikon film cameras and likes the N80. Don't know what housing it requires yet. My level of reason is between $1,000 and $1500.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help. I have got a great start and will continue with my research.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

With your budget you can get the Oly C-5050, PT-015 housing, Inon D-180 strobe and the extras like battereis and memory cards.

A housing for the N80 won't be cheap. Also check into the cost of any auxillary lenses for underwater use.

Mares,
I have been a Nikon shooter all my life. My wife has been an Olympus shooter all her life. I bought the Olympus 5050/PT-015 this past February and I bought her a new to her old Nikonos V. How's that for irony.

These days I shoot topsides with a Nikon N80. When Fuji converted the body to the S2 I thought I would be set, however, the cost was beyond what I wanted to spend. I'm waiting fo the Nikon d70 to come out and see if it will be a good u/w alternative. Meanwhile, the 5050/pt-015 is a very nice resonably priced alternative.
TEdJ

< No , you'll have to by a memory card ~$100 + (I get my film at $4 a roll)
2. No cost for numerous wasted rolls of film and processing while learning to photograph underwater
< Yes,you are still wasting your dive time which costs way more than your camera once you figure in your total trip cost !
3. See the results immediately underwater so as to take another photo if necessary.
< How many subjects sit still for the time it takes for a review ,and what you see in the LCD is NOT!! what you'll see in you're computer at full scale, ask anyone ! You'll still have to shoot as many shots as filmmer to make sure you got a keeper !
4. Obtain prints commercially, or at home, at low cost.
, Common fallacy- Same price ~ as commercial prints, Figure in ink ,paper, your computer,imaging software to make the most of your shots is reallly $$$$ !
5. Ability to take more than 36 photos (roll of film) on a single dive.
<Unless your snapping on everything you see; I usually get 2 dives/36 exp. roll. I've only wished for more than 36 shots on one dive as long as I've been shooting ! Learn to be a photographer before you start to dive ! You'll save yourself a lot of deleted fishbutts and the same crap you'd have come home with shooting film !
6. Ease of touching up photos to your liking with a computer software program.
No brainer-scan your shots in at 4X the resolution of digital (I know, extra cost, but if you want "Quality" than a scanned slide blows away any "Normal" digicam)
7. Ease of putting the photos on the internet or e mail.
Click of a botton in Photoshop or any imaging software once you've scanned your image
8. Good quality cameras and housings are low in price.
Define quality .... My Nik N90s w/Ike housing was ~$800 eBay + strobes
9. Spending money on low end/low quality cameras results in the same picture results and is money wasted.
See above
10. Not having to find a processing lab that can properly develop underwater photos.
There's no difference between land and sea shots (common fallacy 2) It's all in the lighting and as everyone on the digital side already knows, there's a fix for most every flaw that most digital shooters have !

It all boils down to how much to you believe in your art. In the long run digital is lots cheaper than film, I won't even argue that. But at the present state of technology, a scanned slide will still blow away even the best housed digital SLR image like it or not. That said, it's only a matter of time,(and $) before digital can compete with the current films !

< No , you'll have to by a memory card ~$100 + (I get my film at $4 a roll)....

Dave, do you purchase and develop your roll for four bucks total? Which is closer, your computer or your local film store/processor? If you are concerned about wasting dive time you are likely to be concerened about photo development travel time and costs too. That hundred bucks for a memory card can be offset pretty darned fast, even by the occasional diver.

As to all the other comments regarding quality and such (slides versus existing technology).... We are talking about recommending an upgrade to a Sealife Sport Diver, which the poster is actually happy with...No offense to him, do you really think he can tell the difference? Your suggestions is sort of like upgrading someone who's happy with a bottle of Annie Greenspring to a 2000 dollar bottle of wine. Are they really going to appreciate it more than the 700 dollar bottle?

Those little digital cams can produce results that most untrained eyes can't discern from film, at a fraction of the price (Are those N90 setups available cheap everyday?) if one is starting from square one. Between that and the learning curve (remember the original poster said they weren't into photography) it's hard to justify recommending that a new photographer go for "nothing but the best".

Just a thought, later.

Steve

Totally valid Steve, but he was asking for all options not just the "digital is God" spiel ! I can blow your eye's out with what a film cam and a decent scanner can do! I was just trying to show him "options" that all you digital guys have lost ! Do this with your digicam ! The full frame shot

40010_4604_3.jpg

A "little" tighter crop

40010_4610_1.jpg

OK, that wasn't even as much as I can blow this up

40010_4610_2.jpg

And thats a drop in the bucket, I can drag out the artillary later!

Back
Top Bottom