camera sets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JillGadget

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A TOTALLY CONFUSED NEWBIE HERE. Where can I physically go, where they can put together a reasonable camera package and explain the differences? I am going to be in FL this weekend and know there are a ton of shops. Was not sure if Divers Direct would be appropriate to guide me based on my ignorance to my own needs:confused: I may be taking a trip to the Galapagos in Nov. and want to start figuring underwater photography out and take full advantage of a trip of a life time. a caveat... I also don't want to break the bank since it is going to take me alllll of 7 months to get the money together to go to the Galapagos:no
Thanks a bunch
Jill

Aloha Jill! moved this to the main UW pohotography for you, it'll get more attention here :wink:

A bit more details on what you are looking for...Did you want to get something in the DSLR direction or something that you can use wet lenses with?

A wet lens is a lens you can swap out underwater. For example if you have a DSLR - the lenses are interchangeable. You set up your camera with a lens before putting it in the housing.

If you have a camera like the Oly 350 you can add a wide angle lens underwater onto the housing and just as easy switch to a macro lens...

The DSLR has it's benefits too, but is more expensive....all depends which road you want to go.

Check out Reef Photo & Video -> www.reefphotovideo.com

Before heading into a camera shop, do some looking around here first. The guys in the camera shops may not dive and may not be clear on what is available or desirable! The guys in some uw camera selling places may not stock a huge range so will try to sell you what they do have instead of maybe what you need. You might get lucky, but better to go in prepared.

Check out the Pink Link in my signature (also a sticky here) to get started with some options and some information on what the terms and choices mean.

I love the Canon A series cameras with the Canon housings. Some of the housing do not support wet mate lenses so double check if that is important to you. You can always go Ikelite for a housing for these cameras as they do support the add-on lenses for WA and for macro.

Oly 350 is a popular choice and there are quite a few users here that you can search for and get support from.

Fuji has an older model - two actually - the 810 and the 900 that some people love. I didn't like mine so sold it off, but a friend loves hers so it's definitely all about personal choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom