Camera recommendations solicited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is not diving related, but you all are the largest community of photogs I know, so hope you'll humor me.

My wife is a pretty good amateur photog, and now that we're expecting our second baby she wants to move up from her trusty Minolta Maxxum 7 to the digital 5D.

I've ebayed one of my toys, and am hoping to get enough from it to surprise her with a new camera, but I'm wondering if there is $500 worht of difference between the 5D and the 7D. They're both 6.1M Pixels. What do you think?

She has a recurring dream of starting a home-based portrait studio, but I think if it is more than a few months before she goes 'pro,' she'll probably need a new camera at that time, so I'm not sure that's a factor now.

Any advice?

If you haven't already checked it out, there's a great resource at http://www.dpreview.com and some very active and helpful forums. Going by specs alone, there is very little difference between them.

Something to think about though, is that a lot of the time when you buy an SLR, in the long term the cost of the body is a pittance compared to the accessories you buy, especially if you start to turn pro. I'm only a hobbyist, but my camera body cost me $1k (Pentax *istDS) and I have about $5k worth of lenses and flashguns.

If your wife already has a selection of lenses for the Maxxum 7, I'd say definately go for the cheaper 5D. It seems that it is pretty much a re-release of the 7D just to get something new to market before another top-of-the-line model. All the big dSLR manafacturers do the same. That's why there are so many Canon dSLRs with only 2 or 3 features different than the next. If you do that, you can save the extra 500 bucks to go toward a second body when the latest and greatest comes out. Trust me, if she wants to go pro, she won't want an upgrade, she'll want another.

If she doesn't have a large selection of K-M lenses and accessories, it may be well worth it to look at a Canon system. Although not my preferred camera, there is no doubt that the range and availability of lenses and accessories is well ahead of Nikon, Pentax and K-M.

Thats a pretty broad question there. The other question is what is your budget?

I am not familiar with the Minolta but I do know that Canon Digital SLR cameras produce very good results when used in studio photography. I use Canon for just that whereas I use Nikon for UW work. In reality I would switch to Canon but the lens investment is holding me back

froop:
<snip> If your wife already has a selection of lenses for the Maxxum 7, I'd say definately go for the cheaper 5D...<snip>

That's exactly why she's wanting to go with the Minolta, because of the lenses she already has. Also, she's had several Minoltas, and has a comfort level with them.

Thanks, all for the insights!

Travisc:
Thats a pretty broad question there. The other question is what is your budget?

I don't think the question is that broad, but maybe I didn't word it well enough.

My budget is going to depend on the outcome of the auction I mentioned. If the auction goes high enough, is the 7D worth $500 more than the 5D? So far, it isn't looking like it.

The second question is basically, this: If she get's into pro photography a year from now, is it going to matter whether we bought the 5D or 7D now?

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom