Camera question at the airport ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know we have had threads in the past , primarily about housings being taxed in the Cano area , but Cozumel customs just asked me if I had electronics or a camera. First time I have ever been asked about cameras im Cozumel (20+ years , around 150 trips ).

Anyone get this question recently (especially about a camera ). In theory you are supposed to be able to bring in two cameras and equipment without duty (though Cabo has been calling the housings professional equipment and taxing anyway ). As it happened I didn’t have anything on me since my equipment is in the states for service, so I don’t know what would have happened if I answered “yes”.

I know we have had threads in the past , primarily about housings being taxed in the Cano area , but Cozumel customs just asked me if I had electronics or a camera. First time I have ever been asked about cameras in Cozumel (20+ years , around 150 trips ).
It strikes me as a silly question; who coming into Cozumel could truthfully answer that they have neither? Got a cellphone? Most of them are both.

I guess the more important question is has anyone been charged a fee or duty or tax for taking UW photo gear into Cozumel post C-word?

Because if they have then that will be the end of my travels to Cozumel. I got hassled about camera gear in the Bahamas and have not been back since. But nobody has ever really asked specifically about camera gear in Cozumel of the several times I have been there nor was it a concern but then that was all pre-C word.

James

If you have a cell phone, the answer has to be yes. Hope they don't count cell phone, tablet, laptop as cameras.

Everyone has electronics!

What do you answer?

Maybe "no más de lo permitido" would be an answer.

Last June, I brought a camera backpack overloaded with a camera, Nauticam housing, strobes, arms, lights, a second camera (TG), lots of batteries, and a laptop. No questions asked.

If you have a cell phone, the answer has to be yes. Hope they don't count cell phone, tablet, laptop as cameras.

Everyone has electronics!

What do you answer?

The distinction that is being made without justification by some customs agents is that the housings and cameras are for "professional" use for the purpose of monetary gain on behalf the professional photographer. A cellphone would not be considered professional but a Nauticam or Aquatica system, owned by an amateur/hobbyist, that runs around $5,000 to $15,000 or more is being considered "professional" in some locals.

James

The distinction that is being made without justification by some customs agents is that the housings and cameras are for "professional" use for the purpose of monetary gain on behalf the professional photographer. A cellphone would not be considered professional but a Nauticam or Aquatica system, owned by an amateur/hobbyist, that runs around $5,000 to $15,000 or more is being considered "professional" in some locals.

James
There are reports of this scam from Cabo; are there any such reports from Cozumel?

There are reports of this scam from Cabo; are there any such reports from Cozumel?

Not to my knowledge but I have not been there post C-wordimic. I have a trip planned to Cozumel for early November and am concerned given the OP was questioned. Thus my question, has anyone brought "professional" and higher end photo gear into Cozumel recently and where they hassled?

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom