Camera Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have read the small print on my diving insurance plan. I have coverage up to 5k for "Diving Equipment". The fine print spells out that diving equipment is mask, snorkle, fins, regulator, tank and pressure guage. There is a clear omission of CAMERA!

So, what do all you world travelers do to cover your expensive camera equipment?

Thanks,

Mr. B

I use Senn, Dunn, Marsh etc. available through DAN. They claim they'll send you a check for the replacement value of your gear. It's a Fireman's Fund policy. $3800 worth of video gear was insured for $118/yr.

my camera gear is covered under a inland marine policy from state farm. 1.18% premium for a year. with this years renewal i have over 15K of items insured under this type of policy (payouts are based on insured values, not replacement values with for digital gear is necessary)

Tooth

DEPP and DAN both have the most popular gear coverage plans out there, and both include flood coverage (with some important fine print and deductibles) for cameras. There are several other companies that do it also. I have heard there is a big thread on it over at http://www.digitaldiver.net, and there have been a couple here, also, if you search a little.

I use DEPP and they've come through for me. I have them pay the vendor directly so I never have to be out of pocket and waiting to be reimbursed.

You only have to insure for FLOOD those items that need it - ie a Canon housing does not necessarily need to be insured for flood (water can't hurt the housing), but the camera, batteries and memory card do. YMMV

Mr. Bubble:
I have read the small print on my diving insurance plan. I have coverage up to 5k for "Diving Equipment". The fine print spells out that diving equipment is mask, snorkle, fins, regulator, tank and pressure guage. There is a clear omission of CAMERA!

So, what do all you world travelers do to cover your expensive camera equipment?

Thanks,

Mr. B
Another who uses DEPP - I only insure what I am not willing to replace OOP.

While I haven't dove with a camera yet (need to get better at diving first), I was expecting that the coverage I have on my camera gear via a rider on my homeowner's policy would be enough. Looking through the policy, I don't see anything that would exclude damage due to a flooding enclosure, or being lost underwater.

Would this be a possibility? Has the advantage that it doesn't only cover gear beneath the surface...

Fordan:
Has the advantage that it doesn't only cover gear beneath the surface...

DEPP also covers for above-water loss as well. DAN does too, with some caveats (like if it gets dropped overboard or while you're handing off to a DM, too bad. Called a "care and possession" loss and that's not covered.

Homeowner's insurance has the BIG disadvantage that in some states, 2 claims on your HOI in 3 years gets you designated as high risk, potentially cancelling your insurance and putting you in a high risk pool (VERY expensive). I don't want to put my home coverage at risk to save a very few $$$ for my camera and gear insurance.

BurBunny:
DEPP also covers for above-water loss as well. DAN does too, with some caveats (like if it gets dropped overboard or while you're handing off to a DM, too bad. Called a "care and possession" loss and that's not covered.

Homeowner's insurance has the BIG disadvantage that in some states, 2 claims on your HOI in 3 years gets you designated as high risk, potentially cancelling your insurance and putting you in a high risk pool (VERY expensive). I don't want to put my home coverage at risk to save a very few $$$ for my camera and gear insurance.
There are a few reports here and there of people having a rider that somehow does not impact their main insurance, and they've been happy with it, but I don't recall hearing about any feedback about the claims process and how true that is in the real world. I also reside in the camp of "it's just not worth the risk" and purchased a wholly separate policy for my dive gear. If DAN wants to drop me after a claim, I'll just move over to DEPP... and not even have to think about the policy on my home. :D

If you go the homeowners' route, just be very careful to question the heck out of your insurance agent to make sure there can be no impact on the main policy as a result of claims filed against the rider or addendum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom