Camera-Geek Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-sass

Wreckmaniac Extrordinaire
Reaction score
(If a mod feels this should be posted in "non-diving", please feel free to move it....)

My family is looking for Holiday Gift ideas for my partner and I. Everyone agrees that we're tired of buying "stuff" that no one really NEEDS, and would rather purchase one or two really useful gifts.

We thought of asking for a good digital camera. Understand that Lydia has had her 35 mm Pentax longer than she's known me, and we've been together for almost 22 years!

We know NOTHING about digital photography, and I thought the experts here on SB would be a good place to start. So, we need a Dig-Photog 101. Any and all advice on terminology, what's important and what's just fluff, or anything else you can think of would be greatly appreciated! For now, this will be for dry use only... :)

Thanks, in advance, for your help!
Scuba-sass :)

Long time no see.

I just went through the same problem and I am far from any sort of expert so I will just add one thought. If you ever even think you may want to use it UW, then make sure a housing is available for the one you intend to buy.

Say hello to Lydia from Kathy and myself

Herman made a good point. You can check out sites like www.digideep.com to see if there is a U/W housing for the camera you are thinking of buying.
Some things to look for...
How many MegaPixels? Not sure if I am correct but I believe you need at least 3MP in order to have them printed at 8.5x11 (or vice versa, you know what I mean), not 100% sure but thats what I can recall.
Secondly, what is the optical zoom, not digital zoom, optical. The bigger the optical zoom the better.
Then you will want to check stuff like what ISO rating does the digicamera go upto? This works just like a normal camera, try to get one that has a large range like 100-400 or better.
This is delving in there, but you can also check shutter speed and the lens manufacturer. I believe Sony uses Carl Zeis lens... on some models at least.

Personally, if I had to get another one I would get a Nikon. I would also consider getting a Fuji(I own a Fuji), Sony, Olympus and Canon.
When you goto the shop to purchase or browse, get them to take some pics and view them on a computer they have in the shop, you will find some brands capture colours differently than others. Some better, some worse...

Herman - good to hear from you, and thanks for the housing advice. I hope you and Kathy are well.

Boney - That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm not the photography buff, that's Lydia's realm. Some of what you said will make much more sense to her! (Such as ISO rating...) All great info - Thanks a bunch!

Keep it coming...

I know how Lydia feels - my circa 1971 35mm Nikormat hasn't had a working meter in years, and the PC port finally died - and no one works on them anymore :(

I tried a newer 35mm SLR, and finally went digital about a month ago. I got the Nikon Coolpix 5700.

Basically, the same photography principles apply with digital as with film photography- except where the final image resides. Getting the image is the same, basically.

Using the Standard resolution setting, I took some pictures of my plumerias with the macro, and sent the file to a service to be printed as a 16"x20" print. It turned out great.

This is a 5megapixel camera - Standard is the 2nd to lowest pre-set resolution (out of 5 settings). The Resolution of this picture was 2560x1920 pixels. Filesize: 1.1MB

I've also shot several pictures I printed myself on 8.5 x 11 using the "Basic" (lowest preset resolution) setting.

So, I think anything above 3Mpixels would be fine - unless you're planning to do murals and billboards.

Lens quality is a factor - just like with regular photography. I'm really impressed with this.

Attached is a photo of the stamens of a Tibouchina flower - I didn't shoot it this close - I did shoot it in macro, and then cropped in on the Basic resolution file (I don't have the original file anymore to get the stats). You can see the dew drops on each of the stamens. Note: I had to bump the resolution down a little to fit under ScubaBoard's filesize limits - but I hope you can see the point!

I haven't gotten the housing for mine, so I haven't taken it under water yet.....

In general, look for a camera with the same features you'd want in a film camera (there are even digital SLR's).

OK, I think it's time I make sure Lyd sees this thread, since you guys are way over my head with the techincal stuff. But, that's exactly the info we're after!

As for price range, I really don't know. This will be a combined gift for both Lyd and I from both my Mom, Sister and B-in-Law, so I'm sure we can shoot pretty high. Afterall, if you've read my recent post in Non-diving stuff, our unterior motive for this purchase is the baby that's FINALLY on the way! It will be the first Grandchild, and my Mom is already eager to start buying things!

Thanks!

Scuba-sass,

This is a reply I wrote recently over on digitaldiver.net:

Hope it helps.

-Chris

-----------------------------------------

Try this to get you started. Look at the Consumer Reports link I provided on this thread for a good article on the "basics"

http://www.digitaldiver.info/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3022

Actually, I just went back and checked the Consumer Reports link on that thread -- while it works, this link gives you a more direct link to CR's "Digital Cameras and Photography" page:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main...ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=333133&bmUID=1069856561446

Spend some time looking through the glossary section in the consumer reports article and on dpreview (link also on attached thread). It will give you some background on the various lingo and key features you need to be aware of when buying a digital camera.

My suggestion after you read up on the basics would be to: (1) Determine what your budget is. (2) Research cameras that fit into this budget that have the features most important to you using dpreview, message boards, etc......also check to make sure these models have available housings. Note that the dpreview camera reviews are pretty technical.....skip to the end of the review to get a helpful summary. Don't try and read these until you do at least some general research first on features -- you will suffer from terminology overload.

Part of this process will be to understand the "level" of camera you are after. Based on my limited newbie knowledge, there appear to be 3 general levels of digital cameras -- (a) Point and shoot models, (b) "prosumer" models that allow you to use them in point and shoot mode but which also have a fairly rich (and more complicated) set of manual features/settings, allowing for more user control; and (c) "professional grade" digital SLRs -- much higher in price and complexity, but which produce the highest quality photos. Of course, buying the most expensive camera does not guarantee great shots -- this also requires knowledge, skill and experience.

Price ranges vary.....based on my limited knowledge, for just the camera you can expect the following (a) $150-400; (b) $400-1,000; (c) $1,000+. While the "levels" I've laid out above are based on the level of manual control, another key attribute is the number of pixels the camera has. In layman's terms, the more pixels, the more detail the resulting image will contain. The number of pixels (typically referred to in megapixels -- 1 megapixel = 1 million pixels) also has a big effect on price. Even if shopping for a point and shoot, you should probably look for a camera that has at least 3 MP. The availability of manual features and the number of pixels seem to vary directly in most models, i.e., cameras with a higher number of MP also have more in the way of manual features.

Underwater housing costs vary WIDELY based on quality and features, but you can expect to pay at least $150-200 for a basic housing. Side note -- one reason many folks on this board have bought the Olympus c5050 model (type "b" prosumer -- camera-only cost is about $550-600 online) is that it is a feature-rich camera usable in either point-and-shoot or manual modes, and the compatible PT-015 underwater housing made by Olympus is relatively inexpensive ($150-200 depending on where you buy it), is of decent quality, and is rated to 130 feet.

*** Edit note -- as Keith notes below, $150-200 is not a "typical" housing price. While basic housings for Canon and Olympus can be purchased for this price, most housings start in the $400-500 range. Thus if you are on a tighter budget, you may want to focus on Canon or Olympus.

One other note on housings -- many folks recommend insurance if using an underwater camera. The old quote offered here and elsewhere -- it's not a matter of "if" the housing will flood, but "when". I believe you can get insurance for your camera from DAN or other organizations for ~$99 per year.

To get started shooting underwater, you will need a digital camera, a compatible housing, storage media (these are memory cards that plug into the camera that you use to store images on), and computer software for manipulating the images (some cameras come with this......and some late model PCs come with some imaging software included). Other things to consider are -- making sure the PC you will be using to download the images has a USB port to allow you to connect the camera to it, whether you will print the images and how you will print them (you can buy relatively inexpensive printers to do this or you can take the memory cards for printing at many photoprocessors including places like Wal-Mart), batteries (rechargables are the way to go).

My strategy is to buy the camera first, get familiar with it on dry land, and then start using it underwater with just a housing....possibly add a strobe later.....baby steps.

Hope this is helpful...I'm a newbie myself, so I can sympathize (and as a result, take all of my advice with a grain of salt). I just bought an Olympus c5050...housing to come later.

-Chris

Chris,
Your info is incredibly helpful. I don't have time today, but over the holiday weekend, Lyd and I will try to review the CR site you linked to.
Thanks a bunch,
S-s :)

Sassy...I'm another fan of the Oly C-5050. It's a very full featured pro-sumer camera with a good video function. If you just want a auto point and shoot camera, it does that very well, especially topside. If, in the future you want to get farther into it or Lyd wants to excercise those photo neurons she has stored :wink: it's a great manual camera as well. It will suit both your shooting styles.

It's built 'heftier' than the others, a better quality feel not heavy...at least in my opinion. And as has been mentioned, the PT-15 housing is very affordable if and when you decide to take it underwater.

I think you'd both be extremely happy with this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom